What's new

Problems connecting to laptop via Tethering

Kensterfly

Reaction score
iPhone 4 IOS 5.1. In the past couple of days I've had a heck of a time getting a connection via tethering through the legal Personal hotspot.

Hotspot is clearly turned on but the blue bar at the top of the iPhone screen that usually says "Personal Hotspot: 1 connection" is not there and the laptop does not discover the signal. I've tried USB only, which is my usual mode, as well as trying via Bluetooth. I've rebooted the phone many times. I've unplugged and replugged. Even rebooted the laptop a few times. Suddenly, the blue bar will appear and the laptop senses the signal and I'm in business.
But it's very intermittent and very frustrating. In the past I've just plugged in, turned on the hotspot and I'm good to go.

Any ideas what might be going on and how I would remedy it?

Thanks!

Are you paying for a tethering plan via your carrier or are you using a tethering tweak like myself/

Are you paying for a tethering plan via your carrier or are you using a tethering tweak like myself/

As I said in the Original post, it's a 'legal' tether. That would mean that it's part of my ATT plan.

Kensterfly said:
As I said in the Original post, it's a 'legal' tether. That would mean that it's part of my ATT plan.

Okay, okay.

Have you tried to reset your network settings?

Settings> General> Reset> Reset Network Settings.

Yes, I reset the network settings three or four times. Rebooted the phone and laptop several times. I have not put the phone into DFU or done a restore, not knowing if that would help or not.

It took several efforts today to get the connection but not as bad as yesterday. I can't discern a pattern as to the sequence that finally makes the connection. It seems totally random.

Kensterfly said:
Yes, I reset the network settings three or four times. Rebooted the phone and laptop several times. I have not put the phone into DFU or done a restore, not knowing if that would help or not.

It took several efforts today to get the connection but not as bad as yesterday. I can't discern a pattern as to the sequence that finally makes the connection. It seems totally random.

Of only you had another iPhone to test with. Ya know...to see if it is your iPhone.

You could always restore. This I know that is not what anyone vet wants to do. Sorry I am not of more help:(

Try this. Go to your manage wireless network page. Delete the tetherme network and allow your laptop to establish a new network with your phone. It should connect just fine! This is what I did when having the same problem

I'm sorry. I mis read. Delete your AT&T tethering network and allow your phone and pc to establish a new network. Hope this helps!