What's new

Newbie....Want to jailbrake my iphone ...need help!

The new redsnow is out and i think it works with iPhone 4s and it's way more stable with iPhone crashes and easier and I use redsnow it much better with no error accouring in absinthe
Where can I get the step by step tutorial for the redsnow jailbreak?

DolphinxManiax23 said:
Forget my last reply..seen the other post.
One more thing, when I wet to go back to ye phone itself instead of jailbrake how would I go back to itself again? Like how I is now. Before jailbrake?

Restore via iTunes..

Just restore with iTunes easy as that it will take the jailbreak right off and nobod will no anything about the device being jailbroke

After I restore my phone before installing jailbrake. Will I have any my contacts there when notthins on phone?
Does Itunes back up contacts also?
And after installing Jailbrake will my phone turn on like notthin will happen to it?

This is a great thread because I'm in the same boat. I was all ready to jailbreak for the first time and was reading an iPhone tech site that walks you through it. It seemed easy enough until I started reading the responses and there were many who claimed that they had trouble and it wouldn't wotk, etc. Then I started reading posts about making sure you keep Blobs or something like that and then someone mentioned keeping the baseband and I began to get cold feet about doing it.

How is it that people with an iPhone 4s all running 5.1.1 can get different results. I can understand this with Android since there are many makes, models and variations but it seems that it shouldn't happen with the iPhone.

The other thing that was mentioned was that if you updated to 5.1.1. OTA that jailbreaking might not always work right and that you should update the OS via iTines.

Any help on these issues would be appreciated.

How is it that people with an iPhone 4s all running 5.1.1 can get different results. I can understand this with Android since there are many makes, models and variations but it seems that it shouldn't happen with the iPhone.

That is easy. If everyone jailbroke a fresh install of 5.1.1 and never restored an old backup then everyone would get the same results. But that is usually not the case. Some people jailbreak 5.1.1 with years of data in them. Some people jailbreak 5.1.1 with old jailbreak Info from the 4.x days still there. Some people jailbreak 5.1.1 and the try to restore old data that has issuse they don't realize will mess things up.

Then there is the whole issue with Cydia packages and installing the wrong version or installing conflicting items. Which lead to a whole new set of issues

DolphinxManiax23 said:
After I restore my phone before installing jailbrake. Will I have any my contacts there when notthins on phone?
Does Itunes back up contacts also?
And after installing Jailbrake will my phone turn on like notthin will happen to it?

Anything toggled on in Settings> iCloud will be restored to your device always...as long as you choose to "Use iCloud" during initial setup of the phone.

Just make sure that iCloud is the *only* email account with Contacts toggled on...so there is no conflict and 2 email accounts don't try to download your contacts at the same time.

That is easy. If everyone jailbroke a fresh install of 5.1.1 and never restored an old backup then everyone would get the same results. But that is usually not the case. Some people jailbreak 5.1.1 with years of data in them. Some people jailbreak 5.1.1 with old jailbreak Info from the 4.x days still there. Some people jailbreak 5.1.1 and the try to restore old data that has issuse they don't realize will mess things up.

Then there is the whole issue with Cydia packages and installing the wrong version or installing conflicting items. Which lead to a whole new set of issues

Thanks! Since I've only had my phone a few weeks I have no problem wiping everything out before I jailbreak. I use Google for my contacts so I'll just restore them after I jailbreak.

Just want to note that while it's best to start clean after a jailbreak it's hardly necessary. I've restored successfully using iTunes going from jailbroken 4.3.3 to 5.1.1 Stock then jailbroke and restored to that.

I did not restore my cydia tweaks as I figured those could introduce instability as many are very specific to os.

Restoring from a stock iPhone same os should work.

The big difference is in the computers everyone uses. Some are Mac, windows xp, 2000, 2003, win7, 2008 etc etc with all different settings and firewall antivirus.

Just want to note that while it's best to start clean after a jailbreak it's hardly necessary. I've restored successfully using iTunes going from jailbroken 4.3.3 to 5.1.1 Stock then jailbroke and restored to that.

I did not restore my cydia tweaks as I figured those could introduce instability as many are very specific to os.

Restoring from a stock iPhone same os should work.

The big difference is in the computers everyone uses. Some are Mac, windows xp, 2000, 2003, win7, 2008 etc etc with all different settings and firewall antivirus.

So if I jailbreak and back up in iTunes is my original back up of my unjailbroken system gone? Did I phrase that the right way?

DroidConverted said:
So if I jailbreak and back up in iTunes is my original back up of my unjailbroken system gone? Did I phrase that the right way?

Backups are not overwritten. Each time you backup to iTunes "another" backup file is created...and the old ones stay there. That way you can choose which backup you want to use.

Backups are not overwritten. Each time you backup to iTunes "another" backup file is created...and the old ones stay there. That way you can choose which backup you want to use.

Um, no. that's not quite right. When doing a restore, iTunes will create another backup when putting the new firmware back on. It will not overwrite the old backup. So that's good.

But, if you are using iTunes to backup regularly (nothing special, just doing a backup in iTunes), it will and does remove/overwrite the older backup.

Just a slight clarification ... backups done outside of a restore ARE overwritten.

Marilyn

Um, no. that's not quite right. When doing a restore, iTunes will create another backup when putting the new firmware back on. It will not overwrite the old backup. So that's good.

But, if you are using iTunes to backup regularly (nothing special, just doing a backup in iTunes), it will and does remove/overwrite the older backup.

Just a slight clarification ... backups done outside of a restore ARE overwritten.

Marilyn

I was just backing up and noticed that my old back up is gone and the only one available is the one I just did.