What's new

Newbie - confusion on how to access Internet

Tricon7

Reaction score
I'm new to the world of the iPhone, and I'm a bit confused on one issue. I can get online through Wi-Fi hotspots, of course. But can't I also get online wherever I can get a cellphone signal - like driving down the Interstate? And since I have Verizon for my ISP, I have an unlimited data plan, so it supposedly won't count against my cellphone minutes. But when I got to work this morning, my iPhone wants to get online by connecting to a wireless network somewhere. Do I have the option to just get online through my Verizon carrier without a hotspot around?

Go to Settings, Wi-Fi, turn off.

You will be able to access Verizon's 3G all the time this way. It may even be faster than wifi. As you said, you've got unlimited data, so it won't matter.

Go to Settings, Wi-Fi, turn off.

You will be able to access Verizon's 3G all the time this way. It may even be faster than wifi. As you said, you've got unlimited data, so it won't matter.

*Whew!* I thought for a minute there that I had unrealistic expectations. Thanks!

go to AppStore and download Skype. Add me, skullcheese, let's test out your 3G!

So Skype also works on the iPhone, eh? But since you're making a phone call, does it count toward your minutes? Also, is Facetime included in one's contract, or is it extra? I suppose to use FT, both parties have to have an iPhone? I'd love to see if it's as good as the hype Apple's built it up to be. If so, let me know and I'll add you.

Whenever it tries to connect on a new wifi while u are on the go, just clic cancel and it will automaticaly use your 3g. When you arrive to a place where you previously use a wifi at that place, it will automativaly connect to that wifi without notifying you. Alos like it's said above, you can chose to manualy switch off wifi once on the go to avoid having to deal with those "do you want to join this network" questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FaceTime is a phone call + video via internet. Skype is a call and video via internet. If you call me with FaceTime you'd have to pay for international call to Russia, with skype the call is free.

Biggest problem with skype in the past was that you had to run it on computer, but now it's on your phone and everywhere you go. They also have MSN Messenger, and a thing called Viber which allows VoIP calls to people in your contact list which also have Viber.

Whenever it tries to connect on a new wifi while u are on the go, just clic cancel and it will automaticaly use your 3g. When you arrive to a place where you previously use a wifi at that place, it will automativaly connect to that wifi without notifying you. Alos like it's said above, you can chose to manualy switch off wifi once on the go to avoid having to deal with those "do you want to join this network" questions.

Ok, that's worked for me. However, I found that once my mobile connection was really bad when I got home, and I wanted to switch back to my wireless router, but I didn't know how. How is that manually done?

Ok, that's worked for me. However, I found that once my mobile connection was really bad when I got home, and I wanted to switch back to my wireless router, but I didn't know how. How is that manually done?

Go to settings> wifi: switch it on there, and it will connect automatically to your router.

also: google voice is free. best is gv+ and talkatone. free texting too. google voice is less buggy than skype, in my experience. another free texting app is textie. i've used /all/ of them. textie's the best. ipod touch can use all of these too.

also: google voice is free. best is gv+ and talkatone. free texting too. google voice is less buggy than skype, in my experience. another free texting app is textie. i've used /all/ of them. textie's the best. ipod touch can use all of these too.

Wow. All the possibilities. Does Google Voice do video, also? If so, how does that play out with me using my Verizon minutes?

You should just click cancel when it tells you to connect to wifi then go through safari or whatever normally. Hope this helps. P.s. I am running a YouTube series where i review the best new applications on the app store every wednesday. I just thought you might be interested. Here is the link.

That your youtube stuff is starting to be all over the place man... Is it your signature or an add or something?

Last edited by a moderator: