What's new

Elaboration on tethering one's iPhone to an iPad to watch video

Tricon7

Reaction score
So I have Verizon's unlimited data plan with my iPhone. If I'm not in a Wi-Fi hotspot - like riding down the Interstate - can I connect my iPhone to my iPad (which doesn't have a carrier plan) and watch, say, Netflix without Verizon punishing me for tethering and canceling my unlimited data plan? It seems I read recently that a court ruling said one can jailbreak a phone without repercussions from one's carrer, but I don't know if this applies to this. I also see that I can make my iPhone a hotspot, but I don't know how that works. Could I set that up on my phone and have my iPad pick that signal up in order to get online? Is that possible wirelessly?

Many have jail broken and use tweaks such as TetherMe.

No. You will have to pay $20 a month for tethering last time I checked in April.

I had my 4s jailbroken for awhile for that sole purpose. Recently decided to update to 5.1 and now 5.1.1 so I do not use it anymore. It works great though, I used a program called PdaNet. There are many different programs out there but I used PdaNet because I had used it on my droids and liked it. It is free if you just want to browse unsecured websites but if you want secured it costs a one time fee of about $10.

Many have jail broken and use tweaks such as TetherMe.

If I were to jailbreak my phone and use this app to get online with my iPad through my iPhone, could Verizon retaliate by invalidating my contract with them, or either start charging me a tethering fee?

It all depends on what you are doing when sharing the Internet. If Netflix is available for the iPhone then they would not know wether you were playing it on the phone or iPad. If you were heavily accessing web pages on the iPad then they would be able to presume you were sharing your Internet as you would not be as inclined to do that on a iPhone because of the smaller screen.

All depends on what you are wanting to do.