What's new

Newbe help: What is jailbreaking

iphone-y

Reaction score
1. What is Jailbreaking and why use it?
2. What is Cydia

Just a very brief answer would help newbe's like me. Cheers.....

jailbreaking allows you to installs apps that apple did not allow into the app store or the ability to customise your phone much more then apple will allow. and by doing so you can enable the phone to do much more. there are pros and cons. read the topics in here to find out more.

cydia is basically app store but not regulated by apple and where all the non approved apps games and so on are.

so there are clear advantages to why use it

Thanks palio for the quick reply, very good explanation. Apple, the reason I have avoided them for so many years. Like Sony, do it our way or not at all. Anyway, you have to concede to great products and put up with Draconian marketing....

Last edited:
sure you're welcome. will you be jailbreaking? i have to say a lot of features that jailbreak has had before they where officially allowed like copy paste and multi tasking jailbreakers have ben able to do way before apple allowed it officially and even background pics was able to do with summer then winterboard from the first 2007 iphone it took them until the iphone 4 to decide to enable it

That is certainly not enough information for me. I have an iPhone 4 and AT&T of course and have had no issues at all. I don't really see what I have to gain by jailbreaking (I'm not saying there is no reason, just that I have yet to see it explained). There is a warranty to lose here, and this is an expensive device. I don't feel at all confined or limited by the app store. I have more apps than I can handle. Why should I jailbreak? One reason, please!

you can customize the way your phone looks to your liking, and that is one of the reasons why i jailbroke my device, if you want to see what i meant by "looks to your liking" they have a thread which has all the homescreens and such from members that jailbroke their device, but in terms of messing up your phone, im pretty sure all the kinks got worked out of the jailbreaking