What's new

new member w/ iPhone v Android questions

benna

Reaction score
Hello. I will be replacing my smartphone (Palm Pixi). I'm a Verizon customer, so if I go iPhone I'll have to wait til the Verizon iPhone release. But I'm trying to find my way now through the question of whether to go Android OS or iPhone. I've read reviews, watched videos, and pumped everyone I meet. I'd like to hear from people who have iPhones why they chose them, why they like/love them (or don't), why they'd choose them again (or wouldn't).

Welcome...

I've never had android so I can't really comment. I can say that my wife has a blackberry and it's useless in comparison. The iPhone takes a bit of getting used to but once you get the hang of it it's fantastic...

Who knows when/if Verizon will get it.... But the main difference I see is just the smoothness on the browser and programs. Really is a step above android.

My fiance is on Sprint and has the Evo while I have the iPhone 4. The iPhone is a more streamlined device as far as the interface, ease of use, etc. The Evo is an amazing phone and is easy to use, just not as intuitive out the box or as polished but once you get used to it, it's great. Android 2.2 camera app and some other features offer a lot more options from the factory then the iPhone where you need to get apps for some of the same functionality but not a deal breaker to me. I think the Android O/S is only going to get better too.

One of my brothers is on Verizon and got the Motorola Droid X and loves it. If it were me on Verizon I'd probably go with the HTC Droid Incredible. It's basically the same as the Evo but smaller while the Evo and Droid X are too big for me to carry in my pocket as I use a holster style clip. Incredible also uses HTC Sense which is better then the Motorola interface although using Launcher Pro on the Motorola Droid X makes it tons better (as my brother explained to me). Neither have a front facing camera.

My youngest brother has the iPhone 4 like I do. We both love them. It's a tough call. If you don't want to wait and want to stay Verizon I'd check the Incredible or Droid X and I don't think you'll be sorry. If you can wait or will switch to AT&T I don't know........that's real tough. iPhone is pretty smooth though, but maybe I'm biased having one...........

one major thing that i like about the android over the iphone is the ability to download any files and manage them ( mp3's, etc). i can just dl a mp3 from a site, drop it off in a folder and play the song. not sure if you can do that with the iphone, but the file manager for the android devices are so easy to use, its just like a computer. Also, androids are alot more customizable out of the box, that doesnt require rooting/jailbreaking. you can also bluetooth files to each other ( haven't done that with my iphone yet so not sure if you can do that, like sending mp3's over).

one flaw and the main reason why i switched out of android devices is that it lags at times. opening and closing programs has a delay whereas in iphone, u just tap the home button, and the program exits in less than a second. same goes for launching programs.

dont get me wrong, android devices are awesome. i wouldnt compare the android and the iphone side by side. its more of what you want. as a casual user, i would go for an iphone. but for someone who likes to take their time and customize the phone and use it for a lot of productivity features, i would go with an android. hope that helps.

Thank you to everyone who's responded so far. It's been very helpful. Keep 'em coming!