What's new

Defecting from Android

larand

Reaction score
Just saying hi...I'll be switching to the iPhone on Verizon this weekend from a Motorola Droid X. A disastrous OS update from Motorola/Verizon that has significantly reduced the usability of my phone has finally driven me away from Android. I'm not new to Apple, though; I had friends with Apple IIs as a teenager (yes, I'm old) and started using Mac laptops and desktops myself back in the days of OS 9. I currently have three OS X devices at home and plan on updating to Lion after it's released.

I'm especially looking forward to hearing from anyone who's also made the jump from Android to iOS as I get my iPhone set up and replace my Android apps with iOS equivalents. Not looking to jailbreak anything right off the bat, just want a functional phone again.

Hi Larand, and welcome to the forum. I used a Droid X for long enough to want to get something better. I've had 3 different Android-based devices, and all of them had minor quirks, instability issues, and GPS flaws. The iPhone also has some flaws, like easy file/folder access from a PC, iTunes!!!!, and inaccessible battery compartment. But iOS is more stable. As far as your apps question, all I can say is that the Apple Store has plenty of apps that will rival Android apps. As far as jailbreaking, well.... I don't get it. Why risk bricking a perfectly good device just to get a few whoopie apps?

hi, im a newbie too. i just got my iphone 4 last week (also a defector from android) and here's my take on it:
why i switched- 1.my android phone was constantly restarting, power cycling, crashing, apps were force closing and it was becoming a general pain to use on a daily basis.
2. it has been replaced no less than 5 times under warranty for the above issues (i got it in december)
3. i have been wanting an iphone for a long time and finally white one on verizon is available
4. i love the way my mac and ipad simply work (not perfect, but pretty close)
5. apple support- i am pleased with apple customer service and that i can walk into a store and have my phone trouble shooted and replaced on the spot if necessary. with verizon, i have to call (from a different phone), go through their steps, wait for my new one to come in the mail, re-set it all up, send my old one in and hope that it works this time. with apple i have to walk into a store, say hello to a genius and hand him or her my phone (computer, ipad, ipod, etc). if not fixable on the spot, a new one will be handed to me right there (provided they are in stock)
6. its pretty. yes, im shallow. i demand function, but i am not wiling to give up aesthetics to get it. i dont see why i cant have a phone that both works and is pleasant to look at
7. i am used to the iOS from using my ipad, so there is very little learning time required
8. battery life- my droid2 had a life of about 2-3 hours with normal use, less with heavy use (even with extended battery). yesterday, i unplugged my phone at 10am, used navigation, pandora, email, and talked on the phone and still didnt put it on the charger until i got to work after 6pm (still had 10% left)

that said, here's what i miss about my droid2 :
1. i cant wake up to pandora without setting the alarm every night and even this app leaves a lot to be desired IMO and is not nearly as functional as the one on my droid2
2. turn by turn navigation. yes there is an app for that and i have it, but it doesnt give me maps in landscape mode or respond to voice commands. but its certainly usable and free.
3.speakerphone for phone calls through my car stereo (either through the headphone jack or dashboard dock). i get feedback that makes it unusable when i plug my aux cable into the headphone jack on my iphone.
4. live wallpapers (i know, i know, not necessary, but its on my list. not a major concern though)
5. widgets and the ability to customize my home screen

heres why i did it now instead of waiting for iphone 5 (or whatever the next one is going to be called)

1. i bought it outright, so no contract. in anticipation of the new one coming out, they ar plentiful and less expensive than they used to be.
2. the new one may have issues ala ip4 (depending on the number and kind of changes made) and may not be better than the ip4 immediately.
3. it may or may not come in white (i really wanted a white one, it matches my stuff :)) or there may be a delay. and i may not like the design or the way it looks.
4. i dont want to wait in line for days or order it and wait 3 or 4 weeks to get it
5. if the next iphone is not utterly amazing and a huge upgrade from ip4, the prices of ip4 will not drop significantly because people will opt to keep them instead of upgrading.
6. the ip4 will run iOS 5 when its released and will hopefully give me the functionality im looking for.

this is just my 2 cents. i thought about this a long time and didnt take my decision lightly. there were gives and takes, but all in all, i do love my iphone and im very happy that i switched. i look forward to iOS 5 and jailbreaking when its released.

Sounds like a lot of us were android users before going to an iPhone. I had 3 buddies go through the same thing you guys are all describing above. The funny thing is those 3 buddies of mine were all bragging on how good there android phones were going to kill the iPhone 4, after 2 weeks of having android issues they all switched to an iPhone 4! :)