What's new

New Member - Debating Switching to Iphone.....

Fullsleeve

Reaction score
Afternoon everyone. name's Justin, 42, living just outside Chicago in the burbs and I was poking around for information and stumbled on this site, which looks like it has some great info.

My background with phones goes back to basic flip phones on Cingular, to the Chocolate (Hangs self) on VZW, then from the Voyager to OG Droid to Droid X (Loved the layout of that phone) to HTC Rezound. I still have the Rezound, this is just a refurb'd since the touchscreen on my original one went out about 8 months ago. I still like it, it just has some little quirks that I chalk up to being a refurb: tilt sensor not working all the time and screen sensitivity seemingly getting worse.

Like all of you I'm sure, I have people in my life that swear eternal loyalty to Apple and some that love the Androids. As stated, for smartphones, I have never had anything BUT Androids and am tempted to try something new. The only Apple experience I have in my life is using an Apple II E computer when I was in JRHS. Don't ask when that was lol.

Have any of you converted from Android? The fear of the unknown is what's holding me back I think. Sure I goof around with app's on my phone, but what I use mainly is just my email (Gmail) and taking pictures and texting & since right now I still have unlimited data, I watch Netflix when I get bored sometimes. I have no music on my phone even though I know I could put it on there, but I find the HTC Sense app for the PC a bit.....lacking. I do use Itunes for my Ipod and from what I read, it's MUCH easier to work with.

I guess what I'm wondering is, what would I miss from Android? Is it true that Iphones cannot be customized as much as Androids? I mean like wallpapers and the ways the pages are displayed.

I am clear for an upgrade on August 7th and I'm not sure how long I would be able to hold out due to probably changing my plan to a family plan to add someone. The Apple 5S sounds really sweet but I think for someone with no Apple IOS exerience, I may feel a bit cornered about the learning curve. So my choices are Iphone 5 or Galaxy S4 or try to hang on until the Iphone 5S. The major drawback for the S4 to me is the size. I don't want a tablet in my pocket.

I apologize if this is the wrong place for a post like this, but I didn't want to post something without a proper introduction and this seemed like the place.

Thank you.

G'day and welcome to the forum Justin!!!!!!! :)

I'd say give it a go with iPhone5 (biased somewhat I am of course) lol!!!!!

Afternoon everyone. name's Justin, 42, living just outside Chicago in the burbs and I was poking around for information and stumbled on this site, which looks like it has some great info.

My background with phones goes back to basic flip phones on Cingular, to the Chocolate (Hangs self) on VZW, then from the Voyager to OG Droid to Droid X (Loved the layout of that phone) to HTC Rezound. I still have the Rezound, this is just a refurb'd since the touchscreen on my original one went out about 8 months ago. I still like it, it just has some little quirks that I chalk up to being a refurb: tilt sensor not working all the time and screen sensitivity seemingly getting worse.

Like all of you I'm sure, I have people in my life that swear eternal loyalty to Apple and some that love the Androids. As stated, for smartphones, I have never had anything BUT Androids and am tempted to try something new. The only Apple experience I have in my life is using an Apple II E computer when I was in JRHS. Don't ask when that was lol.

Have any of you converted from Android? The fear of the unknown is what's holding me back I think. Sure I goof around with app's on my phone, but what I use mainly is just my email (Gmail) and taking pictures and texting & since right now I still have unlimited data, I watch Netflix when I get bored sometimes. I have no music on my phone even though I know I could put it on there, but I find the HTC Sense app for the PC a bit.....lacking. I do use Itunes for my Ipod and from what I read, it's MUCH easier to work with.

I guess what I'm wondering is, what would I miss from Android? Is it true that Iphones cannot be customized as much as Androids? I mean like wallpapers and the ways the pages are displayed.

I am clear for an upgrade on August 7th and I'm not sure how long I would be able to hold out due to probably changing my plan to a family plan to add someone. The Apple 5S sounds really sweet but I think for someone with no Apple IOS exerience, I may feel a bit cornered about the learning curve. So my choices are Iphone 5 or Galaxy S4 or try to hang on until the Iphone 5S. The major drawback for the S4 to me is the size. I don't want a tablet in my pocket.

I apologize if this is the wrong place for a post like this, but I didn't want to post something without a proper introduction and this seemed like the place.

Thank you.

Hi, welcome to the forum! Here are a few helpful links. cv| iPhone tips | iPhone Tips & Tricks | What is jailbreaking? | | iPhone Unlocking

Guide for Beginners |iPhoneForums.net Mobile App

Thinking of Jailbreaking but are not sure

iPhone tips

iPhoneForums.net Forum Rules - Please Read and Respect our Rules

remember…."search" is your friend…..poisonivy…..iPhone and iPad forums moderator

Hello and welcome to the forum Justin!

If you do switch, just keep an open mind...while the OS's are a bit different it is always fun to learn the other ;)...

Welcome, Full..... Though I still have a couple of iPhone 4's at home, I switched my main home phone to the Galaxy S4, and love it. Much more user-friendly. Plus it doesn't need iTunes!!! Both systems are fine but Android, in my opinion, is easier to live with. But my iPhone 4 makes a really fine iPod for my music!

I started with Palm back in 2004.
Had a Crackberry in 2006. Hated both.

I bought the OG Droid on release day and have been a Droider ever since until a few months ago. Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) 4.0 was a great OS and worked great. Then they released Jelly Bean 4.1 and my Razr Maxx HD stopped working correctly. I was hanging on hoping for 4.2 to be released, then found out it wouldn't be for the Razr line, so I switched to the iPhone 5. You can't "root" an iPhone or installed your favorite ROM, but that's by design because Apple wants the iPhone to work, and it does. It does exactly what you want it to do. It might be boring, but that's the main reason I switched. I just wanted a phone that worked.

Issues you need to think about before switching:
  1. The main thing you need to keep in mind is that there is a learning curve. My wife had an iPhone 4, and I've had an iPad for a year now, as well as a Macbook Pro, so I was used to iOS. However, my wife never did get use to it. I had to put her back in an Android phone (Samsung S3) to make her happy.
  2. A second thing you need to think about is the screen size. Android phones have gotten so big that the screen differences are very noticeable. The Rezound screen is quite a bit bigger. For me, I was fine with the smaller screen. I like the smaller phone because of the fit, but some will think this is a deal beaker.
  3. Battery Life. Obviously you cannot get a bigger battery for the iPhone, so you're stuck with the one it comes with. It will last longer than your Rezound's original battery, but if you've bought an extended battery, then it might not last as long as that.
Always go into the store and play with the phone before making the purchase. I spent a good 30 minutes navigating, holding, and making sure that this was what I wanted prior to making any decisions. Then I used a friends from work and asked their opinion before plopping down $400 on the 64GB.