What's new

New Iphone User, wondering why I'm in the stone age...

Dsull

Reaction score
So work purchase me a new Iphone 4S to work with their time tracking software, came from a Droid X.

Not noticing much difference between the 2 function wise, but have 1 big pro and 1 big con, hoping you can help with the con.

Big pro is music sync with Itunes, obviously.

Big con, why can't we just use the music on the phone for a ringtone. Every Droid, Blackberry, Palm, and Windows phone I've ever had could use music for the ringtones. Heck, even my wife's env 1 could use music for a ringtone. I thought the iphone was suppost to be cutting edge.

All I've found is download ringtones (really, pay for ringtones?) or use a program to create ringtones. I am used to having about 30 contacts with their own ringtones to let me know who is calling. With as many calls as I take, it's been the best way for me to know if it's an important call or not.

Wondering if there is a way to get around this, or if I am stuck in the stone age when it comes to music as a ringtone.

I am Running a Macbook Pro/Lion as my personal Computer, and have everything current, don't know if there is a program to get around this problem or not. I don't want to have to sit around and cut up a bunch of ringtones for my phone. Hoping you have better news for me than the older posts I have browsed through.

I have had my Droids Rooted, and custom Roms/Kernels installed, so I'm not afraid of that.

If I'm stuck I guess I'll look for another option.

Thanks.

know of any way to do this without a comp I'm jailbroken and cydia doesn't have any I would really like to use

ms.jess said:
is that an app or just go to the site ?

There are apps in the app store that allows you to create custom ringtones from your phone. Sad apart is that it still requires a connection to iTunes.

can't find it on cydia
says it should be on bigboss but not there know where I can find this ?

iCrank said:
There are apps in the app store that allows you to create custom ringtones from your phone. Sad apart is that it still requires a connection to iTunes.

yeah I know
i would just like to do it from the phone
so much easier

Wow, for all the hype these phones had. Yet you have to jump through hoops to use music for a ringtone, I think I'll pass. I think I'll go back to my Android. Apps no better than android, being able to use my ipod playlists was nice, but missing the reason these phones are supposed to be "great".

Funny thing is I'm the only Mac user at work, and the last to get an Iphone. Maybe I was onto something. Will keep searching, but not feeling very optimistic. Used to open source platform. Not to big on this locked down system.

ms.jess said:
can't find it on cydia
says it should be on bigboss but not there know where I can find this ?

Look for the direct repo, use google.

Why not take all the ringtones you have made and dump them into iTunes. Then sync it to get them on. I have had Android and ringtone make was nice but not a deal breaker. Speed and Battery life far exceeds that. As a former DroidX owner the iPhone 4s is a far better phone.

Also you can make ringtones in iTunes for free.

This is odd that this would be a deal breaker for you. I love everything about my phone. It has not failed me once. I come from a droid and even though you could easily turn a song into a ringtone there was nothing special about those phone. Just plastic big screens.