What's new

Old Iphone - New Computer (sorta)

Supahrob

Reaction score
I tried a little searching, but to be honest, I don't even know how to phrase the search to get helpful results.

I recently had to reformat my hard drive - lost pretty much everything. Oh well, I will live. I managed to get pretty much all of the music on my iphone copied BACK to my computer, so that was cool. Through Photobucket I think I can backup all my pics - but I am hoping I don't have to (more on that in a sec). I have tried everything to get my ringtones backed up from my iphone to the PC - but I am not having any success.

My other question... my other fear is: When I plugged my iphone into my computer, used itunes and tried to select "sync" apps - it is threatening to erase my entire iphone. I really REALLY REALLY dont want this to happen. Is there anyway to avoid this (aside from NOT syncing my iphone)? Like I said - I got my music off, I can back up my photos. But I have some ringtones I really like - and they are just gone other than the copies I have on my iphone. Also, I just don't want to lose all the settings and such that I had on my iphone.

Before anyone asks - the program I used to get the music from my phone to my pc was called iFunbox. A free, clunky but workable solution... but it just wont see my ringtones. NONE of the "iphone backup" programs I have tried will see my ringtones.

So to sum up:
1. Is there anyway NOT to have itunes erase my phone and make me start over?
2. Is there anyway to backup my ringtones (preferably for free)?

Take care,
Rob

Rob
When it alerts to sync and delete everything click yes. It only deletes what's already on your iPhone and then syncs everything back from your iTunes. So by clicking yes it will sync what you need to sync. This only applies to what you have checked. So if you sync all and all is on iTunes anyway if you click yes it puts it all back in. Confusing I know but that's iTunes for you.

iHolophyte

Ok, thats good news - I think. My ringtones do not exist anywhere else in this world except on my iphone. They were created using mp3's on my computer - mp3s that I no longer have. So they are NOT on my itunes. Will itunes erase my ringtones?

Take care,
Rob

Ok, thats good news - I think. My ringtones do not exist anywhere else in this world except on my iphone. They were created using mp3's on my computer - mp3s that I no longer have. So they are NOT on my itunes. Will itunes erase my ringtones?

Take care,
Rob

I'm not sure. But if it does delete the ringtones. Download "ringtones" from the app store all instructions on how to do ringtones via iTunes are attached to the app. It's a good app for doing new ringtones. iTunes may delete your old ones as they were mp3 the ring tone app saves them as M4p which iTunes then thinks is a ringtone. So in future will not delete should you need to resync.

iHolophyte