What's new

Sync to new computer?

djqwikcut

Reaction score
I currently sync my 4s with a windows 7 pc. I'm getting a mac so I want to change the sync to go to that one. How do I do that without erasing everything on the phone like it does when it tells you you are already syncd to another computer.....

Each iPhone is tied to a computer and only one computer when manually syncing. I'd suggest backing up everything manually especially in the case of switching from one completely different OS to another, since I learned my lesson back on my old iPod Nano. Since it was originally synced with a Mac, and I didn't backup the music files manually (since they were ripped songs from various CDs and such), I lost it all when I tried syncing it with Windows since it says that 1, it's Mac based, and 2, I'm syncing it with a different computer. Or you could use iCloud. Backup all your non-iTunes purchases to iCloud, move over to your Mac, restore using iTunes to allow syncing with the Mac, and transfer all your purchases over and grab all your iCloud backups.

So how do 8 to this? Of is not hooked up. It's jailbroken .. I don't want to erase ringtones .....there has to be a way. What if computer crashed?

Use iExplorer and rip EVERYTHING off of your iPhone, music, contacts, SMS, ringtones, pictures, videos, etc and transfer them using an external hard drive or a flash drive to your mac

Use iExplorer and rip EVERYTHING off of your iPhone, music, contacts, SMS, ringtones, pictures, videos, etc and transfer them using an external hard drive or a flash drive to your mac

Huh? Your telling me if we get a new computer you can't easily change what pc the iPhone syncs to?

You can try it. I personally like a solid backup whenever I make major changes and such.

What I dont get is that there should be an easy way to switch to a new computer without any issues.... I know I cant sync with multiple computers and I understand BUT to be able to get a new computer and switch what coumpuer I SYNC to is an issue... and should not be

Try the authorize this pc function in the link.

The first portion of the link you provided. Try that. There probably are "easier" ways but there's still a lot of prep work that needs to be done before you transition.

The first portion of the link you provided. Try that. There probably are "easier" ways but there's still a lot of prep work that needs to be done before you transition.

Forget iTunes.. I found imtoo iPhone transfer plus. never need iTunes... I can transfer everything to and from the phone without iTunes including backing up text messages etc. and i can do my wife's iPhone too.. she syncs on her windows vista computer and I can add music etc. I am no longer tied to iTunes and no longer ties to only working on the computer I used to sync....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD