What's new

New Apple Patent Hints at Waterproof Devices in the Future

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Reaction score
iphone-underwater.jpg

If this latest patent application from Apple is any indication, then it's entirely possible the next generation of iPhone and/or iPad could be waterproof. The Cupertino clan recently filed for a patent which suggests multiple different methods of waterproofing for their devices. Here's a quote with a few more of the details,

The patent app describes more than one method for making sure your phone doesn’t feel the pains of water-logging. First, Apple wants to coat internal parts with a hydrophobic coating, which would only be about 5 microns thick (Apple guesses anywhere from 1 to 10 microns). The coating wouldn’t add bulk to the phone, either.

Apple also wants to use silicone seals at connection points on the board, and with flex cables that might connect a board and/or components.

Here at HQ, we have to admit, why don't all smartphone OEMs including Apple make this a standard feature on their devices? With the expensive associated with smartphones, you would think protecting it from the elements would sit high on the priority list. Share your thoughts.

Source: SlashGear

This is good news! But, I have a feeling it will add complexity for those who replace internal components.

This is great news if it happens, We see here in this forum so many members whose phones have had a dunking.
I think this is long overdue.

I think it's about time. I hope we don't have to wait too long to see this technology in use.

This is good news! But, I have a feeling it will add complexity for those who replace internal components.
I think it could spell the end of the do it yourself home repair as special seals and tools may be needed to open and close the phone and maintain it's watertight integrity.

I think it's about time. I hope we don't have to wait too long to see this technology in use.

I think it could spell the end of the do it yourself home repair as special seals and tools may be needed to open and close the phone and maintain it's watertight integrity.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Being that more and more Apple products seem to be going the way of being hostile towards DIY repair, I figured iOS products would follow. But doing this with the iPhone and iPod wouldn't bother me at all.

Apple take their time but do a good job of it 9 times out of ten, I hope when we see the iPhone 6s it is waterproof, or the iPhone 7.