What's new

New patent hints at NFC technology in the upcoming iPhone fingerprint sensor

RaduTyrsina

News Team
Reaction score
$marked-fingerprint-patent-130908.jpg

​
We have been talking about the fingerprint sensor that Apple might be looking to implement in future devices (the iPhone 5S?) recently because it would give the Cupertino tech giant a major leverage over its competitors.

Now, an uncovered patent which is part of a U.S. patent application and was filed last year, outlines an “electronic device with shared near field communications and sensor structures.” Could this be the fingerprint sensor? It certainly looks like international patent no. WO 2013/130396 A2 proves that the tech company has been looking into this direction for some time now.

The patent describes a metal ring that is placed around the home button. Rumors that so far have been prophesying the arrival of the fingerprint sensor with the iPhone 5S also seem to indicate the same scenario. The purported metal (silver?) ring will be placed around the smartphone’s home button and will act as part of the system which will allow for fingerprint scanning.

But the patent moves to take things even further. It brings out the idea of a NFC biometric pairing which would allow safe transaction to be made by bringing in the story wireless lock functions, wireless data syncing and security applications.

Apple has yet to add NFC integration to its line of iPhones. However, time is not lost. Last year, the tech giant unleashed the Passbook which allowed users to digitally purchase flight tickets and store cards. Will the next step be NFC?

Source: AppleInsider

Last edited by a moderator:
I am stuck on the NFC debate. To me it is just an easy attack point for those of willing devious minds to get into our files. Just a thought from someone who believes that a LOCK only keeps an HONEST man who has got into the wrong place by mistake out

Sent from my iPad using iPF.net