What's new

Netflix doesn't work with iPhone 4?

Tricon7

Reaction score
I see that Youtube works fine with the new iPhone 4, but it won't work with Netflix. The error message I got when I tried to play an online video said something about not working with my operating system or something and that my browser was fine. I hear that it's a streaming media issue? If this is true, that really sucks, since I was hoping to be able to view Netflix, TruTV, and other online sites that use streaming video with my iPhone, which I just purchased today (using Verizon).

Is this all true, or am I doing something wrong? And I admit that I am very new to the world of iPhone.

I just tested Netflix under 4.2.8 on a Verizon iPhone 4. It works just fine.

I suggest you look at the following possibilities:

1) You already have 6 devices logged against your account and you need to remove one to allow the iPhone to work.

2) You try both WiFi and 3G once you confirm #1 isn't the issue.

3) You delete and redownload the App after confirming #1 and #2 aren't the issues.

You need to download the "Netflix" app from the app store (Free). This will allow you to view Netflix videos. The Netflix website uses Silverlight, which is for desktop PCs/Macs.

As for other online streaming sites, they generally use Flash. In order to view videos on these sites, you need something like the "Skyfire" web browser app; which can play Flash videos by rendering them on the remote side and streaming them back to your phone. The native browser won't work, as there is no true Flash player for the iOS platform.

It sounds like the OP was trying to use the Netflix website and not the app. The error message described is exactly what happens when you try to use the desktop site on a non-Silverlight supporting platform. Once you have the Netflix app, it will work on both 3G and WiFi.

Last edited:
You need to download the "Netflix" app from the app store (Free). This will allow you to view Netflix videos. The Netflix website uses Silverlight, which is for desktop PCs/Macs.

As for other online streaming sites, they generally use Flash. In order to view videos on these sites, you need something like the "Skyfire" web browser app; which can play Flash videos by rendering them on the remote side and streaming them back to your phone. The native browser won't work, as there is no true Flash player for the iOS platform.

It sounds like the OP was trying to use the Netflix website and not the app. The error message described is exactly what happens when you try to use the desktop site on a non-Silverlight supporting platform. Once you have the Netflix app, it will work on both 3G and WiFi.

Excellent! I was so hoping that this could be resolved. Thanks.

No Problem! By the way, if you have a Hulu+ subscription, there is also an app for that. Unfortunately, it doesn't work with the non-premium Hulu, though.

No Problem! By the way, if you have a Hulu+ subscription, there is also an app for that. Unfortunately, it doesn't work with the non-premium Hulu, though.

The Netflix app works like a charm. Well done. My wife loves Hulu, too. Unfortunately, I don't have the $10.00/mo. or so that it costs for that subscription. Pity.

I used Netflix on my iPhone 4 fairly regularly. It was one of the first apps I downloaded and I use it when I'm at the doctor's office with my kids all the time. I don't think I've ever suffered issues with it.

Of course it is free and has better movies. It is also very illegal in most countries. But hey! Who cares if you are stealing a movie right? It is a victimless crime. BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH.

I can't wait for you to produce something one day, it then gets stolen/pirated and you have to explain to your kids why there is no Christmas presents this year.

Of course it is free and has better movies. It is also very illegal in most countries. But hey! Who cares if you are stealing a movie right? It is a victimless crime. BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH.

I can't wait for you to produce something one day, it then gets stolen/pirated and you have to explain to your kids why there is no Christmas presents this year.

BigU is not completely a free app. You need to pay something to get registered. I don't know how illegal it is but even in the app store you have "movie vault" which is 100% like bigu, the difference is that in bigU have all kindof movies and in movie vault it's kinda old style movies, but soon movie vault will load in oscars and top movies. Now tell me that Job Steve proning pirating by letting movie vault to find its way into the app store.

You are expected to "DONATE" to use BigU. Which means from a "legal" perspective they are "some what" protected from certain types of prosecution. And the fact that BigU has XMen First Class, a movie that just opened in the US this weekend, I doubt there is anything legal about it.

Crackle is another free App with some decent movies/TV shows. It doesn't have as many movies as Netflix but it's at least free.

You just got to watch like a 30 second commercial before the movies starts. Other than that, it's pretty decent.

So skull one knows that bigU is not illegal the way he though.

iCrank said:
You just need to login into your netflix account

Sent from my iP4 while cranking the flyest GoGo bands! DC/MD

You need app netflex. U name and password