What's new

Need specific info re: syncing IP4 to new computer

liguy257

Reaction score
Hi, I consider myself good with technology but I'm relatively new to the iWorld and for some reason whenever I have to do anything like this it seems something gets screwed up and I want to avoid that this time...hopefully you guys can explain this to me in a way I can get.

I had my phone synced to my iTunes on my home computer. The computer crashed so I had to wipe the drive and reinstall everything. I reinstalled Itunes, brought all my mp3's back over into the library, and authorized this iTunes to my iTunes account (which worked because I bought a new song and it's there).

Here's where I'm going crazy. I want to move a couple of things over to the phone, but iTunes is prompting me that I HAVE to sync it, and in order to Sync it since it's a new computer, it will erase the phone and replace it with the new itunes. First, I find it extremely frustrating that I can't just put files on the phone manually without having the library synced (i.e. a Video file I had on my comp)...

But my main question is, what does it mean when it says it will erase everything? I am ok with the music on the phone being replace with the music in the itunes library because it's the exact same collection, but what about all of my apps, and what about my contacts? I just want to leave that stuff alone. Last time I did this stuff disappeared and even the stuff that was there was all in the wrong order, etc, it just messed everything up.

So can someone explain to me the steps I should be taking here? Do I click "yes" to sync (no choice), and if so, what do I lose/how do I find it again/ etc?

yeah the only thing that iTunes will erase from your iPhone are the multimedia things excluding photos and videos in your iPhone. Your sms, phone call log, apps, books, files will still be there after the sync is done, do make sure that you have only and only music tab syncing into your iPhone, because if you have the app tab checked to sync contents to your iPhone, it will likely replace checked apps in iTunes with those in your iPhone. Same to other tabs. Good luck to you.

yeah the only thing that iTunes will erase from your iPhone are the multimedia things excluding photos and videos in your iPhone. Your sms, phone call log, apps, books, files will still be there after the sync is done, do make sure that you have only and only music tab syncing into your iPhone, because if you have the app tab checked to sync contents to your iPhone, it will likely replace checked apps in iTunes with those in your iPhone. Same to other tabs. Good luck to you.

Thanks... what other multimedia things that could be effected though, if not pics and videos? Also, itunes isn't giving me an option of what to Sync, when I plug in the phone I get a popup saying "the phone is currently synced to a different library, do I want to erase it and sync it to this library", so unless there are more options once I click ok, I'm not sure how to target it. It won't even let me select "manually manage" on the summary tab until I've completed the erase/sync.

when you receive that notification pop up, click ok, iTunes will sync only the info that your iPhone is now linked with your computer, it will not erase your music from your iPhone, also it will not automatically starting to sync in musics or apps etc... until you ask iTunes to start syncing. After you click OK on that pop up notice, you will have the option to select whatever you want iTunes sync to your iPhone, stuff you don't want iTunes to sync to you iPhone, keep them uncheck in iTunes. As for your musics in your iPhone, by default iTunes will be replace with the checked music in your iTunes library.
NB: before you click OK on that notification pop up, it's always better to be at the safest side, iTunes is just a program and can let you down anytime. Use iCloud to backup your iPhone files, only after that you can take the plunge. If something goes wrong there and iTunes let you down, you will be force to factory restore which can result you losing everything including your contacts sms etc...

Undoubtedly, it's a pain in the tuckus to sync to a new iTunes. However, here's some steps I found on an Apple support forum that seems to have worked for several people (who responded postiviley to the steps):

1. Disable auto sync when an iPod/iPhone is connected under Edit>Preferences>Devices in itunes(under the edit menu if using Windows).
2. Make sure you have one contact & one event in the supported applications(Address Book, iCal) on your computer. These entries can be fake, doesn't matter, the important point is that these programs not be empty.
3. Connect the phone, iTunes running, do not sync at this point.
4. Store>Authorize this computer.
5. File>Transfer Purchases(To make sure all purchased content on the phone will be in the itunes library).
6. Right click in the device pane & select reset warnings.
7. Right click again and select backup.
8. Right click again & select restore from backup, select the backup you just made. When prompted to create another backup, decline.
9. This MUST be followed by a sync to restore the itunes content, which you select from the various tabs, You'll get a popup regarding contacts & calendars asking to merge or replace, select merge.

You should be good to go.

That's about the best way I know to move your iPhone to a new iTunes computer. Please note that I've never tried this, it's gleaned from various Apple support threads. So, I can't/won't guarantee success. But, it's all I've got.

Good luck and please, do let us know how you get on.

Marilyn