What's new

Need iOS 5.

Myron

Reaction score
I have iPhone 3Gs. I have been trying to get several Apps but my unit refuses to load these. Instead a message comes on saying that I need iOS 5 in order to download. How can I resolve this? Is there a way to download iOS 5 to my phone without losing photo and my other data already in my phone?

You can upgrade to 5.1.1. Just click the restore button and choose upgrade. Make sure you have your phone backed up. When it asks to set up as new phone or use back up choose back up. Also, do you use a software unlock like ultras 0w? If so you should preserve baseband to keep your unlock.

Thanks but I am afraid that when I upgrade, all my photos, phone#s, etc will be deleted. I have synched the phone into my PC but have no faith that it will work. How reliable is the synch? Also, I heard that a synch only saves certain data and that much will get lost, such as voicemails and more.

The iTunes sync saves everything, as long as you have it setup properly. In order to save your contacts... you have to setup an email account for it to sync with, via the Contacts tab in iTunes. As far as voicemails go... those are stored on your wireless carrier's server and don't have any allocation in the iTunes sync.

And once you've updated you will have the option to use iCloud to back up to.

Updating your iPhone is pretty straight forward assuming your stock.