What's new

My iPhone 4 log pics/hacks/themes

Roy_Drage

Reaction score
Originally this thread was just meant to be a few posts about my experience with the iPhone 4 after I had jailbroken it.

However, over the months this thread has evolved and turned into more of a complete log of my experiences with the phone, things I do to it, cases I buy, games I play etc etc just thought I would write it all down here, perhaps someone might find it interesting.

So after playing about for a while I am pretty happy with what I have been able to do. Cos this is what it's all about, the playing, the customisation, trying different things to set the phone up exactly as you want it. So Winterboard was obviously my first point of call as it's what you'll need to set you on your way to customisation overload lol!

A lot of the themes on Cydia in my opinion are quite low quality and are more gimmicky then any real alternative to the dedault Apple offering. I searched a bit and started to come across some work by some top graphic designers.

I picked up this really nice theme called Illumine (it's been removed from Cydia recently as people were distributing it as their own work, you can get it from the designer himself for a small fee and he has some other top quality work), it's some really nice high quality icons designed by one guy over at Deviant Art/and other places. taptounlock.me - iPhone Themes

Anyway I downloaded the Illumine theme to my windows netbook and then used a program called i-FunBox which allowed me to dig deep into the iPhone and play about with all the files stored in there (not sure if this program works with jailbroken iPhones only?) process was simple enough, just find the themes folder for the winterboard app and drop the downloaded theme into that folder.

Next I activated the new theme in winterboard, refresh springboard and go check it out. Hmmm love the icons but I don't like the background or the dock tray at the bottom. Tried to swap the order of some things around in winterboard to see if I could get it to look how I wanted..... but I couldn't.

So next step was to again using the i-FunBox program go back into the theme folder I had just dropped in and basically delete all the image files I could find that contained the name 'wallpaper' or 'dock'. Wasn't sure if it would work but back out of the program, safely remove iPhone and then turn the theme back on in winterboard.

Hey presto the background pic for the theme has been removed and I now have the background pic I want using the nice set of icons I like (the theme has something like over 1800 icons) also the dock that came with the theme was now obviously gone :)

Clicking another thing in winterboard allowed me to set all the status bars to black which I like. I then used this app called 'Poof' which allows you to hide whatever apps you want from your home screen. So bye bye Stocks, bye bye default weather app.

There are a load of things I'm going to get onto tomorrow as it seems more and more cydia apps/tweaks are starting to work with IP4.

Anyway I wasted a good couple hours playing about with all this stuff but that's half the fun and it reminded me of the fun I had back with the original iphone.

Here's my homescreen! Lol basic but it's pretty slick IMO and will look pretty cool with one of those vapour cases.

Anyone come up with anything yet?

IMG_0001.png

IMG_0002.png

IMG_0003.png

Last edited:
Did you activate the phone yourself? I see you are using tmobile. I am on tmob and thinking about going this route.

Did you activate the phone yourself? I see you are using tmobile. I am on tmob and thinking about going this route.

Hi. My iPhone was a sim free one direct from apple so works with any uk carrier. I was already an existing t-mobile customer so just went along to the local store and got my number ported across onto one of those micro sims. Took it home, fired up iTunes, plugged in iPhone and away u go. That activates the phone.

I'm not sure if the process is different if your buying a phone already locked to a network, I don't think it is. Just when u activate it in iTunes it then becomes locked to your network.

Thank you so much! One more question, how do you reverse the jailbreak if you need to?

Thank you so much! One more question, how do you reverse the jailbreak if you need to?

After play with several iphone JB , i will never do that again is more hassle than joy … but if you want to try you can if you want to revert you need to reset the device put in DFU mode and only at that moment plug in iTunes and set it as new iphone and install firmware from Apple directly..

otherwise itunes will reinstall some part of the JB , if you go by other way that will not give you back an original device

I did mine and by the end of the day was ready to restore back. Just my short stint... I had vol/vibrate issues,push notification problems,skype won't background...ect. Just not worth it as ha been the case with every jailbreak so far.

Unless you need it to be on another network. I'm on TMobile and it is A LOT cheaper per month.

I am pretty underwhelmed with cydia and everything. Huge pain in the ass and most of the crap doesn't work. Still I want to learn as much as I can. I didn't do a ton of mods to the theme I am not real big on that, I think it looks fine stock tbh. I am trying to download torrents with dtunes. I don't really need to, I can remote desktop to my comp at home and do stuff on there on the go but I wan to do it just to do it. First off the mobile terminal crashes so I downloaded the new one and installed it via ssh but when I try to configure the torrent in dtunes it crashes so that's where I am stuck. I'll probably try installing some cracked stuff tonight just to learn how to do it.

Did a bit more playing.

Changed some app icons to one's I liked. Also hid the dock at the bottom and added the 5 row dock hack (waiting for 5 icon columns hack to be updated so I can use that, will round things off nicely) Got rid of the t-mobile carrier logo as well, as you can see:

76a0ba39.jpg

SBsettings is working and provides nice access to menu quick/convenient apps and functions. I've set it up so all I have to do is swipe down on the status bar at the top (like you do on Android phones) and the below menu pops up :)

e597c7f6.jpg

Hey, sorry I'm no help to anything, but where did you get that background wallpaper?

Been playing with the SBSettings skins, the last one is designed for the iPhone 4's HD display :D looks great!

3276ed9e.jpg

57b8ebf8.jpg

11b71e68.jpg

FAO: kegonomics. I'm not sure what the rules are around here regarding sharing people's work? You should go check out all the iPhone 4 themes and wallpapers over on places like deviantART: where ART meets application! and http://macthemes.net/forum/viewforum.php?id=24 as thats where I come across most of this stuff.

If the mods tell me I'm allowed to link the file then I'll gladly hook you up ;)

Last edited:
Changed the clock style on the lock screen and also changed the battery colour to blue so that it matches up with the blue signal/wifi bars.

clocks.jpg

battery.jpg

Also used 'shrink' to slightly reduce the icon size of the icons in the dock so they are's so squashed together. Will set all the icons on the homescreen to the same size once the update to five column springboard is released.

bea1faf5.jpg

Lastly am now using this iClassic iPod player aa my main MP3 playing tool. Skinned it with some themes from Cydia. Makes me miss my old skool iPod lol. It even does the little wheel clicking sound while scrolling. It's pretty neat. Check it out:

dd6884b4.jpg

Some things I still plan to try.

Going to customise the lock screen - some really impressive one's out there!
Change system font type and look into changing the default badges
five column springboard
own sms and ring tones

All I can think of for now :)