What's new

Multiple Questions - iPhone 4S iOS 5.0.1

Rik756

Reaction score
Hi all,

While I'm certain some of this has been answered before, but it must be buried in some thread that I either did not read all of or that I just couldn't find. I tried the search function and the FAQ, I've read LOTS of threads and either can't find the answers to my questions, the answers only apply seem to different versions/models or they are only for jailbroken phones.

All my questions pertain to a non-jailbroken phone until there is a working solution for the 4S with iOS 5.0.1.

So far I'm loving the iPhone over the HTC Hero that I had. HUGE improvement in most areas. Unfortunately there are just a few simple features I really really liked that I seem to have lost coming over the Apple.

1. Is there any way to turn off the shudder sound when taking pictures with the phone on loud? (There is no sound when the phone is on silent but due to question #2 I have to have my phone on loud most times).

2. Is there an app or setting that will allow custom sms/text vibration patterns and reminders to work? I know there is on cydia and I know you can set them for calls through accessibility but I want them for texts too. (I guess hearing impaired users can get custom notifications for calls but not texts? bassakwards?? lol) Apparently Apple went to great lengths to soften the vibration on the 4 and or 4S and it worked. I can't feel anything when it does its two little vibes!

3. Assuming there is no good answer to #2, what is a good program to use to access the .plist files on the phone itself? I searched here and didn't find anything and apparently I can at least change the length or number of vibes there (I think).

4. Is there a way to hide/delete the pre-loaded icons like Newstand, that I don't need or want? I can't get it to go delete or drop in a folder. Along the same line, is there a way to arrange the icons they way I want instead of having them auto-adjust to right margin justified?

5. Is there a way around having to sign in to my account every time I download an app?

I'm sorry if any of these are common issues that have been addressed. I think I know the answer to number 2 is no, but I'm hoping I just missed some little nugget out there somewhere. It seems like such a simple and necessary function that I am having trouble believing Apple overlooked it or just chose not to address it.

Thanks all!

Rick

Last edited:
All my answers pertain to a non-jailbroken iPhone.
1.) No
2.) No
3.) The is no program to achieve that.
4.) For both questions: No way.
5.) After downloading and installing one app, open the Apps Store again to sign out your Apps Store account; or just go to Settings> Store> Apple ID/ Tap on your ID to reveal the dialogue box, select "Sign Out". The next time you will want to download another app you will have to login your account first.

All my answers pertain to a non-jailbroken iPhone.
1.) No
2.) No
3.) The is no program to achieve that.
4.) For both questions: No way.
5.) After downloading and installing one app, open the Apps Store again to sign out your Apps Store account; or just go to Settings> Store> Apple ID/ Tap on your ID to reveal the dialogue box, select "Sign Out". The next time you will want to download another app you will have to login your account first.

Thanks for the reply.

For #3, I've read that people are able to access the .plist files but I thought I needed some sort of windows based program to do it? I'm using XP. If not, how are they accessed?

I think you misunderstood #5. I'm trying not to have to sign in every time. Not a major issue, just annoying and if there was a check box for remember password, that is what I was really looking for.

Thanks again,
Rick

No way to access .plist files on stock iPhone. You will have to jailbreak in order to have access to those files.
As for your apps store login issue, if you mean that you are looking for a way to avoid entering your account pass word every time you want to download and install an app, then you are out of luck.
Go to settings> General> Restrictions> Require Password/ there are your available options.

No way to access .plist files on stock iPhone. You will have to jailbreak in order to have access to those files.
As for your apps store login issue, if you mean that you are looking for a way to avoid entering your account pass word every time you want to download and install an app, then you are out of luck.
Go to settings> General> Restrictions> Require Password/ there are your available options.

Definitely not what I was hoping to hear on any of the questions, but thank you just the same.

Rick

Rik,
On your question #5 - there is one thing I guess you didn't notice.. But any 'one visit' to the Apple store will only require the password 'once' per session. So you order one app - and you have to put your password in. Then if you go back to search window and find another one you want - it won't ask you again.

.....uh.... I'll leave that posted there -- but something just occurred to me -- the thing I state there may only be how it works for downloading songs after your first download. I know for sure there IS an occasion where you are "not" asked a 2nd or 3rd time for your password. Maybe it's just downloading music. It's possible that for "apps" - the password is required every time. Someone verify this for me.

But to you other request in 1-4 - there is either no such feature or you have to jailbreak your phone to get some of the functionality.

There is much great about coming over to Apple - first and foremost is the most user friendly phone ever made and the coolest looking phone ever made. But the one con coming over to Apple is the "exclusivity" mentality in terms of "it's Apple's way or no way". Their highest motto is "every one having the SAME good experience with their phones". So it's very locked down. Even with all the apps they make Apple's world is "if we haven't thought of it - it's not necessary". Kind of a monolithic way of looking at things - but that's Apple. So you'll always get amazing products from them that are just very "controlled" and "one size fits all" in approach to their iOS. That's why there's such a well established jailbreaking community out there trying to get the "most" out of Apple.

Rik,
On your question #5 - there is one thing I guess you didn't notice.. But any 'one visit' to the Apple store will only require the password 'once' per session. So you order one app - and you have to put your password in. Then if you go back to search window and find another one you want - it won't ask you again.

.....uh.... I'll leave that posted there -- but something just occurred to me -- the thing I state there may only be how it works for downloading songs after your first download. I know for sure there IS an occasion where you are "not" asked a 2nd or 3rd time for your password. Maybe it's just downloading music. It's possible that for "apps" - the password is required every time. Someone verify this for me.

But to you other request in 1-4 - there is either no such feature or you have to jailbreak your phone to get some of the functionality.

There is much great about coming over to Apple - first and foremost is the most user friendly phone ever made and the coolest looking phone ever made. But the one con coming over to Apple is the "exclusivity" mentality in terms of "it's Apple's way or no way". Their highest motto is "every one having the SAME good experience with their phones". So it's very locked down. Even with all the apps they make Apple's world is "if we haven't thought of it - it's not necessary". Kind of a monolithic way of looking at things - but that's Apple. So you'll always get amazing products from them that are just very "controlled" and "one size fits all" in approach to their iOS. That's why there's such a well established jailbreaking community out there trying to get the "most" out of Apple.

Thanks, I appreciate the info. I think you are correct that once I log in I can download multiple apps with a single login.

As for 1-4, I wouldn't normally be into the whole jailbreaking community, but if that's what it takes to get some very simple but what I consider to be mandatory functions then I am certainly on the waiting list. It just seems that so far either the A5 or the iOS 5.0.1 jailbreak just doesn't exist yet. I travel a lot and only have a company laptop so I'd really need an untethered version anyway; which I am sure we be even more of a wait :(

Thanks all,
Rick

Thanks, I appreciate the info. I think you are correct that once I log in I can download multiple apps with a single login.

As for 1-4, I wouldn't normally be into the whole jailbreaking community, but if that's what it takes to get some very simple but what I consider to be mandatory functions then I am certainly on the waiting list. It just seems that so far either the A5 or the iOS 5.0.1 jailbreak just doesn't exist yet. I travel a lot and only have a company laptop so I'd really need an untethered version anyway; which I am sure we be even more of a wait :(

Thanks all,
Rick
Yep. iOS 5 is a juggernaut. Jailbreaking 5.0.1 on a 4S/iPad 2 will take some time from all I'm reading. I doubt we'll have anything before the summer - if that. Remember - every new software update from Apple for iPhones thru 3 OS's has been about closing the "exploitable" code by jailbreakers. Apple really closed a LOT of holes this time. Just because there's an untethered for 5.0 on 3GS's and 4's doesn't mean there is one any time soon for the 4S.

As far as "jail breaking" as a concept. Fear not! "jailbreaking" is often confused with the term "unlocking". "Unlocking" refers to opening its baseband so the phone can be used on other networks and that is a "semi-destructive" process - phone can never go back to the way it was before. "Jailbreaking", however, is a harmless process that you can abandon and simply revert back to the phone you bought any time you want with no permanent changes to the phone. Harmless. I LOVE my jailbreaks from the past and all the individualizing I was able to do. I miss my JB SO much..... hurry up - dev guys... We need a 5.0.1 A5 JB soon.. :)

Last edited:
You can hide newstand in a folder theres a video thats on this forum that will show you how to do it search through the videos here you'll find it.

Not sure if this is what you are looking for but you can create custom vibration patterns. Settings>sounds>vibration patterns>vibration>custom>create new vibration.

Not sure if this is what you are looking for but you can create custom vibration patterns. Settings>sounds>vibration patterns>vibration>custom>create new vibration.

Ah well I completely forget about this existing already, however he will not find the "vibration patterns" in sound settings by default, he will have to enable that feature by going to settings> general> accessibility> custom vibration/ turn it ON. Only after that, the "vibration patterns" feature will show up in system> sound/
Also you will be able to create unique vibration to a select contacts: Open your contact app, select a contact, tap "edit" then "vibration. Again that feature have to be enable in accessibility pane.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by aprillh

Ah well I completely forget about this existing already, however he will not find the "vibration patterns" in sound settings by default, he will have to enable that feature by going to settings> general> accessibility> custom vibration/ turn it ON. Only after that, the "vibration patterns" feature will show up in system> sound. Also you will be able to create unique vibration to a select contacts: Open your contact app, select a contact, tap "edit" then "vibration. Again that feature have to be enable in accessibility pane.

aprillh and bab2010,
I found the accessibility settings and turned them on. However, in Apples imminent wisdom they created a system for hearing impaired users to set custom vibrations to notify them of a VOICE call, but there is no such setting that allows them to customize notifications for TEXT messages. Really very sad and a horrible oversight IMHO.

I do appreciate the info though. I also set custom vibe for my wife but again, it only does the standard two shorts vibes for text. It does the custom I set for phone calls only.

eddieg,

I'll take a look and see if I can find it. I've stashed several other icons in folders but with that one being a system icon I've had no luck...
Edit Here: It seems that all of the solutions to get rid of newstand an several other icons only apply to a jailbroken device, to include the video I found.

Thanks all,
Rick

Last edited:
I know the custom vibrations only work for phone calls (who's the idiot that thought hearing impaired users needed custom vibrations for voice calls but not text?) but I'm hoping there is some other work-around.

I have to find some way to keep my ringer on loud but texts and emails on vibrate- at the same time. I desperately wish I could jailbreak and use vibrafications(sic) but for now there isn't one on the 4s. My question is, is there any way to create and import a vibrating alert tone or any other way to get to the end result of what I'm looking for? I only get emergency phone calls on my personal phone so I need it loud at all times. However, I gets LOTS of texts and emails that I need to be able to feel (vibrations) but that don't make a noise and draw attention. The standard two-vibrate alert is pitiful. Is there ANY work around for this on the 4s with ios 5.0.1? Is there an app I just haven't found?

I've actually started considering trading the 4s for the Samsung Galaxy S so I can at least get an app that gives me what I'm looking for. (I traded from a Hero to the iPhone a few weeks ago). I really really like the iPhone but this is a major problem. I'm actually surprised there isn't more of a push for it... I might consider trading down to the iPhone 4 so I can jailbreak it, but that's pretty silly to have to do.

Anything? Anyone? Please?

Edits Here: I found several ring tones and alerts that sound like vibrations, but none of them actually vibrated... Also, do programs like Winscp work on the 4s/ois 5.0.1 or is that part of the jailbreak stuff?

As for Siri, bless her heart, she's giving up too much info to strangers. I programmed in my name, home address, work address, told her who my family members were etc. It makes it easy to set location reminders or tell her to call the wife, text my brother etc. However, even with the phone locked if someone asks "Whats my name", "Who am I", or "Whats my address" she will give up all my personal info even with the phone locked. The same applies if I ask "Who is my wife" she will give up everything I have listed for my wife. This works for all people I have identified a relationship with.

That might be great if an honest person found my phone and wanted to return it, but it's a little TMI for someone with bad intentions. Is there any way to stop that without having to remove the personal info from everyone?

Thanks,

Last edited:
It seems that all of the solutions to get rid of newstand an several other icons only apply to a jailbroken device, to include the video I found.

Take a look at this video here. I can verify that it works on my unjailbroken, stock iPhone 4S. I've got Newstand in a folder on my very last screen so I don't have to see it.

It takes a bit to get it j-u-s-t right, but it will go into a folder.

Good luck on the rest.

Marilyn

Take a look at this video here. I can verify that it works on my unjailbroken, stock iPhone 4S. I've got Newstand in a folder on my very last screen so I don't have to see it.

It takes a bit to get it j-u-s-t right, but it will go into a folder.

Good luck on the rest.

Marilyn

Thanks, I'll take a look tonight. The newstand is an annoyance too, after realizing the issue with the lack of SMS vibration notifications I could live with the icon. It's just a shame that such simple features and controls seem to be such an issue on an otherwise great device.

Edit Here: I don't see a video link in your post?

For those that can write apps, would it be THAT hard to write a vibrating alert tone that can be used for texts? I hate the little shoosh sound that it makes when it sends a text too...

Thanks for the info :)

Rick

Last edited: