What's new

Monthly Internet Usage

c_mckevitt

Reaction score
atm on my iphone i have free internet with a limit of 100MB, ano this is very low
but i was wondering if this applies for when i use the internet on wifi?
so at home i have a wireless connection and i connect to it on the iphone and use the internet will this use up my 100mb limit?
thanks

when you use your internet while connected to wifi it should have no effect on your usage limit that you agreed to with your provider. Only 3G and EDGE network usage eats away at your 100mb limit as they are provided by your wireless company, WiFi is provided by you (or whoever owns it) and is free to use as much of as you want. Go crazy on your WiFi!

kk thanks for the info but still would like another opinion before i go crazy on the wifi lol
so when im at home or in a wifi hotspot, if i turn off Mobile Data and 3G and my iphone and just use my own wi fi it wont effect my monthly amount?
thanks again

if you turn off the cellular data,and turn on the wifi,you will not use any of your 100mb.

what carrier do you have...i have never heard 100 mb at no cost

how did you get 100mb? haha if i remember with at&t they only offered me 200mb or 2GB

atm on my iphone i have free internet with a limit of 100MB, ano this is very low
so at home i have a wireless connection and i connect to it on the iphone and use the internet will this use up my 100mb limit?
thanks

Here's another affirmation: wi-fi usage does not count against your data plan!!

However, you may want to experiment by checking your data usage if your "3G" and "cellular data" is turned ON in the Settings screen. You probably will use "some" data even with wi-fi turned on because your wi-fi "may" be non-functional when the phone goes to Sleep. At that time, your phone may contact the Mother Ship for small data increments, depending on your open apps, etc. Confused now?

thanks

Here's another affirmation: wi-fi usage does not count against your data plan!!

However, you may want to experiment by checking your data usage if your "3G" and "cellular data" is turned ON in the Settings screen. You probably will use "some" data even with wi-fi turned on because your wi-fi "may" be non-functional when the phone goes to Sleep. At that time, your phone may contact the Mother Ship for small data increments, depending on your open apps, etc. Confused now?

That's just your phone. I've showed you that mines doesn't use mobile data when wifi is turned on. Others have also confirmed that their phones donnot use mobile data when on wifi. Even when in sleep mode. As I've already told you there must be a fault with your phone. Please don't confuse other people with untrue facts...

100mb, that's very low and risky to enjoy any smartphones. With Optus here in OZ, I get 2GB of data, I have barely passed the 1GB bar, so that peace of mind is important for me. As others have said, if you have your wifi icon on, then you are not using your data allowance. Cheers

Last edited:
That's just your phone. I've showed you that mines doesn't use mobile data when wifi is turned on. Others have also confirmed that their phones donnot use mobile data when on wifi. Even when in sleep mode. As I've already told you there must be a fault with your phone. Please don't confuse other people with untrue facts...

It's true that each phone, location, and settings are different with regards to mobile data usage. Nevertheless, the possibilities of (very small) data usage with wi-fi enabled are documented in postings other than mine. And no, there is no fault with my phone! AT&T tells me that the network does pull a few kb's of data off the cellular system now and then, esp when the phone is sleeping at night!

"Please don't confuse other people with untrue facts.." Uh, what's that about, gaz....?

WiFi is free and clear. Thats why u see so many iPad and Laptop users at the local coffee shop lol
Now, the 100 MB that u have is only used if u have your iphone set to check your email or open safari. You are charge for Skype video calls from your iphone 4 over 3G signal. You are not charged Skype video call over WIFI. You are not charged Facetime calls with the My3G app over 3G. You are only charge for any internet related app eg..safari, mail, youtube, or any app that requires internet access. Try and save heavy internet use for WiFi. Simple mobile was only offering 50MB for $50 while $60 for unlimited (6GB) lol

It's true that each phone, location, and settings are different with regards to mobile data usage. Nevertheless, the possibilities of (very small) data usage with wi-fi enabled are documented in postings other than mine. And no, there is no fault with my phone! AT&T tells me that the network does pull a few kb's of data off the cellular system now and then, esp when the phone is sleeping at night!

"Please don't confuse other people with untrue facts.." Uh, what's that about, gaz....?

Trust me. Your phone should not use any data when on wifi. Why would it use 3G when there is a more stable, faster connection to do so. If your happy with AT&T telling you 'of course there's not a problem with your phone sir!' then that's fine, but it wouldn't be me. You may not be getting charged for it but that's not the point.

I'm willing to accept that the iPhone will have differences in different parts of the world but the other user that comfirmed that his phone also does not use network data when on wifi is from the same part of the world and on the same network as you is he not?

My phone does not use a single kb of data acording to the phones usage page and my bill when both wifi and 3G is left on. I double checked it because of your original query.

Anyway so as not to hijack this thread any further, if you would like to continue this disscussion, I would be happy to reply to your PM's...

Wifi is totally free on iPhone 4. I thought about this thread and tested my usage. I tested FaceTime , tango, and Skype video calls with no movement in cell data usage over wifi. 3G increase kb to mb using Skype or push mail set at 15min.......