What's new

I Need Some Apps to *Not* Use WiFi

repeater825

Reaction score
Hi all, my first post here. I have a 4S.

As the title states. Where I work there is a wireless router that is not connected to the internet. It is used only for one specific app (to control lighting dimmers) while at work. Obviously, apps other than this one app also try to use this router to get to the internet. And obviously they fail. When this happens I have to turn off WiFi, then turn it back on later.

Is there some way, or another app, that will restrict apps to use only WiFi or cellular as needed?

Thanks!

If you go to your wireless settings, you can tell it to ignore that particular wireless router.
Settings>Wifi>choose the wireless it's connecting to that you DON'T want. Then hit the blue arrow to the right...the next page at the top. "Forget this network"

You can also turn off the setting that locates wireless automatically. (You can do it manually when needed.) Settings>Wifi>ask to join networks Off

Last edited:
Right as always, xray.... And FYI, I updated both our iPhone 4 units to iOS 6.0.1 yesterday and all went well. Yay!! But I messed up when I signed up both our phones to iCloud with the same Apple ID -- the one we use for the App Store. I'm finding out that I may be in trouble. Double Darn!! I hate to mess/change with the Apple ID for iCloud, thinking I'll mess up our App Store stuff. Your thoughts?? And that's not even covering the mess I may have with iMessage (using the same Apple ID). I suppose it's time for another 9 mile walk on the Uwharrie trails to relieve the pressure!! :))

Everyone from Albemarle says HI...

Hi Ewyatt! Well, to be honest I don't use iCloud and only have one account, so I can't answer your question. So as not to hijack the OP's thread, you could post a new thread so others can help you out. I would imagine you need to create a separate ID and I "think" you can share apps, but am not sure how that works. My hubby has a "dumb" phone so we don't have any issues with sharing our phone stuff. :)

Oh, and yeah, half of Albemarle says Hi when they speed by my house and blow their horn! LOL!

Thanks xray, but that doesn't quite do what I need. I don't want to ignore or forget this router, I just want certain apps to ignore it, because these apps (such as email) think this router is connected to the internet, but it is not. So these apps try to use this router, but obviously they get nowhere. So then I have to turn wifi off so that these apps realize that they must now go to cellular data instead of wifi. Then to continue using the lighting control app with the router I have to turn wifi back on.

I know, it's not complicated to do this, but it is annoying.

Thanks xray, but that doesn't quite do what I need. I don't want to ignore or forget this router, I just want certain apps to ignore it, because these apps (such as email) think this router is connected to the internet, but it is not. So these apps try to use this router, but obviously they get nowhere. So then I have to turn wifi off so that these apps realize that they must now go to cellular data instead of wifi. Then to continue using the lighting control app with the router I have to turn wifi back on.

I know, it's not complicated to do this, but it is annoying.

There is no way to accomplish your stated goal with the current design of iOS. Sorry.

There is no way to accomplish your stated goal with the current design of iOS. Sorry.

That's about what I figured, but one never knows until asking. Ultimately, it would be nice for each app to have options for wifi or cellular data. But I don't ever expect to see that...

Thanks everyone for the replies.