What's new

Verizon FIOS WiFi not allowing iPhone to connect

rickmac

Reaction score
Have an iPhone 4 with AT&T 3G. At work use internal Wifi which works great. I get my personal and corporate mail using IBM Lotus Traveler . At home have Verizon WiFi and periodically I am not able to connect to my mail at home. If I turn Wifi off the iPhone use the very low signal from AT&T at home and I get my mail.

Does anyone have some suggestions or information on what would cause the Verizon supplied wifi router to not allow the iPhone to access the internet or at least just connect to my mail ?

Garrett said:
if you use a desktop or a laptop with that router are you able to connect to your mail server just fine?

Yes. I can actually connect to the server .

There are others who are having same intermittent wifi problems.

I have Verizon for my home Internet. We have an iMac, MBP, MacAir connected via wifi. Additionally, my 4 S is connected to the wifi. No issues on any device

I have Verizon for my home Internet. We have an iMac, MBP, MacAir connected via wifi. Additionally, my 4 S is connected to the wifi. No issues on any device

i dont think his issue has anything to do with Verizon FIOS but has more to do with Lotus Notes Traveler app... ive used it in the past and it can be a bit picky.

Thanks I will look thru this. IBM Lotus Traveler (check latest version) has been awesome. Nicely bundled product and complements the Apple device market very well. There may be more to how things connect .vs the product sitting in the DMZ. I just had this problem reoccur at home. Turning off the iPhone wifi and connects to ATT 3G without fail. If Traveler was at the source then I would expect it to not connect via ATT.

Thanks Garrett but have gone thru these steps and more. This seems to be a wifi router issue.

Has anyone experienced an iPhone from ATT being dropped from a Verizon FIOS router? Happened again and when I switched wifi off the weak ATT signal worked.

rickmac said:
Thanks Garrett but have gone thru these steps and more. This seems to be a wifi router issue.

Has anyone experienced an iPhone from ATT being dropped from a Verizon FIOS router? Happened again and when I switched wifi off the weak ATT signal worked.

This should be valuable info for any other people having problems with WiFi routers especially Verizon .

Apparently Verizon FioS uses some type of assisted DNS so they can push adds to customers. And apparently FioS default DNS settings are revenue opportunities for click thru ads.

http://www.joechurch.com/blog/2008/04/fios-customers-better-dns-solution/
http://www22.verizon.com/residentialhelp/fiosinternet/troubleshooting/network/questionsone/99144.htm <Verizon site lol...
http://mkeadle.org/?p=127
http://domnit.org/verizon/
Apparently the easiest fix is to just edit DNS in the ActionTec router to anything 4.2.2.1 through 4.2.2.5

This should be valuable info for any other people having problems with WiFi routers especially Verizon .

Apparently Verizon FioS uses some type of assisted DNS so they can push adds to customers. And apparently FioS default DNS settings are revenue opportunities for click thru ads.

FIOS customers &#8211; better DNS solution | It's Complicated
Verizon | FiOS Internet - Entering DNS settings in the Actiontec MI424WR router to opt out of DNS Assistance <Verizon site lol...
mkeadle.org » Verizon FiOS DNS is crap
HOWTO Disable the Verizon FiOS Domain Name Ad Redirect
Apparently the easiest fix is to just edit DNS in the ActionTec router to anything 4.2.2.1 through 4.2.2.5

Thanks for the tip!

Did this resolve the issue for you? Where did you find this information?

Mike

Have an iPhone 4 with AT&T 3G. At work use internal Wifi which works great. I get my personal and corporate mail using IBM Lotus Traveler . At home have Verizon WiFi and periodically I am not able to connect to my mail at home. If I turn Wifi off the iPhone use the very low signal from AT&T at home and I get my mail.

Does anyone have some suggestions or information on what would cause the Verizon supplied wifi router to not allow the iPhone to access the internet or at least just connect to my mail ?

I've had good luck with dropping the wifi network and starting over by re-adding it.
Go to settings > WiFi > select the Verizon wifi network > touch the right-facing arrow > touch "Forget this Network"
Then start over and add the network again.

Let us know if this works. Good luck.

This morning I rejoined the wifi after having changed the DNS prime and secondary. Seems like this worked although need more testing tonight.

Steps then appears to be:
Make Verizon FIOS DNS changes.
Restart PC and FUOS router
Forget the wifi from the iPhone
Turn off the iPhone
Rejoin the FIOS wifi.

@mwhartman. I work with a very good network / infrastructure team. I'm just a developer. Traveler fails over very well in a clustered Notes architecture.

Last edited:
Not so much a Verizon FIOS issue . Turns out to be related to inefficient way Microsoft Windows TCPIP stack handles multiple routes when using dual gateways on the server that hosted the IBM Lotus Traveler service running on top of a Domino server. Basically the windows server was not maintaining the same route to return data to the iPhone / iPad. Resulted in no connection errors and unable to move messages. Removing the second gateway route fixed the problem.
Now Traveler is very fast.

Last edited: