What's new

Not getting a wifi connection

Tricon7

Reaction score
My problem is that I'm not able to connect to the wifi signals I used to easily connect to, including the ones I have at home and work. It shows the available network and I get the check mark by the network, which always meant I had connected. But I noticed that I don't get the broadcast signal icon next to where it says Verizon at the top of my iPhone - it still only says "3G." I first noticed the problem when I tried to do app updates and noticed that it wasn't as fast as it should be when on wifi.

The only thing that's changed is that my wife went on a trip and did set the phone to Airplane Mode, but that's since been turned off. I have a feeling some setting has been implemented, but I don't know what.

Last edited:
Go into the wifi settings and go right up to the router and maybe it might need you to re type the password and save the network again

Go into the wifi settings and go right up to the router and maybe it might need you to re type the password and save the network again

I did and it didn't ask me. I suppose I could just "Forget this network" and start over.

I'm sure that somehow when I sit my iPhone up to my wife's email, then changed it all back, that was somehow responsible.

Well with wifi networks I usually find the best thing to do is start out with no security and gradually work your way up.
So you'd start with a visible SSID, no WEP/WPA, no MAC filtering, DHCP on.
Make sure your iPhone is freshly restored (preferably NOT using an old backup).
Then turn wifi on and join the network.
Then increase the security one step at a time, making sure everything works before going to the next level.

This may be a stupid question to ask, but she didn't turn off wifi as well did she? Just to make sure you didn't overlook that... :)

Have you tried going to somewhere that has free wifi (panera for instance) and see if it will hook up? That will tell you if it is your phone or your own router.