What's new

Mirror idevices on HDMI tv

ardchoille

Reaction score
I recently purchased the Digital AV Adapter and would like to take a moment to post a mini review.

The Digital AV Adapter can be found in the Apple online store:

http://store.apple.com/xc/product/MD098ZM/A

This adapter is cheaper than the Apple TV and can place anything that is on your iPhone, iPod or iPad onto any HDMI television. There are versions of this adapter for the iPhone 4/4S and iPhone 5 (lightning connector), and they are $40 and $50 respectively.

I currently use it to watch Netflix and surf the web via Safari. Granted, the Apple TV can do this too via AirPlay mirroring so there is no need for this adapter if you already have the Apple TV. However, you'll save $60.00 with the adapter (Apple TV is $99.00) and it charges your idevices while it's being used. This adapter is also easier to move from room to room than the Apple TV.

It's nice to be able to slip the adapter into my pocket, go to a friend's house and be able to view my movies, reminders, calendar, etc. on a 40" HDMI TV.

Attachments

• $image-649835291.jpg
    $image-649835291.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 324
Last edited:
Huh. Now I can see it working. I've seen it on the shelf of the Apple Store and always wondered how exactly it's going to work. But then again I have a few Apple TVs here and there so I have AirPlay wherever. On the other hand like you said, it's portable. Guess I know how Apple's stealing my money today

willerz2 said:
Huh. Now I can see it working. I've seen it on the shelf of the Apple Store and always wondered how exactly it's going to work. But then again I have a few Apple TVs here and there so I have AirPlay wherever. On the other hand like you said, it's portable. Guess I know how Apple's stealing my money today

Yeah, the portability aspect was the reason I bought it. As with all of the other Apple products I've used, this adapter is impressive.

A friend of mine has an HDMI TV in her SUV, this would be great for road trips.

Last edited:
And for the price, it's absolutely not bad at all. Just picked it up at the Apple store 2 blocks from where I work. Can't wait to try it out at home

willerz2 said:
And for the price, it's absolutely not bad at all. Just picked it up at the Apple store 2 blocks from where I work. Can't wait to try it out at home

Heh, I'd be broke all the time if there were an Apple store close to me. Please post your impressions once you get it hooked up.

Heh, I'd be broke all the time if there were an Apple store close to me. Please post your impressions once you get it hooked up.

Oh yeah it's hard lol. I walk by it everyday after getting out of the train station. Will post after I hook it up and test

The one thing this has is mobility. However, your device is now tied directly to the TV, where as with the Apple TV, your device is now with you and in control of the ATV. This means you dont have to get up to make changes, or continue to the next show or what-not.

BUT - it definitely has its place, as I could see using it here where I work to display presentations, where I would connect to the HDMI in the meeting rooms.

Now, the biggest question: will it connect directly to a projector and work?

It's beautiful... Apple stole my money with satisfaction. And I'll put the projector to the test. We have a couple of projectors at the office so I'll plug it in tomorrow when I get into find out. I don't think there should be a problem since a few colleagues have used their iPads to do it before