What's new

Microphone turned off when charging through in-dash receiver?

Ceedubbadubba

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I found this forum while researching a problem my wife had with her phone. I think I know the unfortunate answer, but I want to make sure there is nothing else I can do.

Long story short, my wife took a video while her phone was plugged into an in-dash receiver via lightning cable. She wasn’t using it to play music or anything—just using it to charge.

Upon playing the video, she realized that there was no audio to the video. I tested taking videos both plugged in and not plugged in, and confirmed what I had feared—none of the videos taken when plugged in had audio, and the others did.

So, my two questions are:
1) Why does this do this?
2) Is that audio somehow sitting somewhere on the iPhone in a recoverable location. My guess is that it is absolutely not, but I’d be remiss if I did not ask.

Hi everyone,

I found this forum while researching a problem my wife had with her phone. I think I know the unfortunate answer, but I want to make sure there is nothing else I can do.

Long story short, my wife took a video while her phone was plugged into an in-dash receiver via lightning cable. She wasn’t using it to play music or anything—just using it to charge.

Upon playing the video, she realized that there was no audio to the video. I tested taking videos both plugged in and not plugged in, and confirmed what I had feared—none of the videos taken when plugged in had audio, and the others did.

So, my two questions are:
1) Why does this do this?
2) Is that audio somehow sitting somewhere on the iPhone in a recoverable location. My guess is that it is absolutely not, but I’d be remiss if I did not ask.[/QUOTE
Try this for me, plug in earphones using the dongle. Play the video.

I just ran a test. Made two videos with me talking. The first with the iPhone not plugged into the charger, the second with the iPhone plugged into the charger. Audio played on both videos. So if you are jumping to the conclusion that the camera won’t record and play back audio when plugged in and charging, that would not be correct. It does record and playback the audio recorded while filming, even if charging while the video was shot.

I just ran a test. Made two videos with me talking. The first with the iPhone not plugged into the charger, the second with the iPhone plugged into the charger. Audio played on both videos. So if you are jumping to the conclusion that the camera won’t record and play back audio when plugged in and charging, that would not be correct. It does record and playback the audio recorded while filming, even if charging while the video was shot.

Ya, but this isn’t just a charger. This is hooked into an in-dash receiver in the car. There is a data connection.

I’ll try the headphones though.

When any of my iPhones are connected to the receiver in my vehicle they pick up audio through the onboard microphone not the one on my phone. Maybe yours is doing the same