What's new

Iphone 4 refuses to restore, numerous different error codes

metalgearstl

Reaction score
So my mothers Iphone 4 went out on her and was frozen on a bright blue screen. Doesn't know if she did anything or remember what she last loaded or anything helpful. She just woke up and saw it laying there plugged in and frozen. It wouldn't shut off no matter what I tried so I had to open it up and disconnect the battery because didn't want to wait around for it to die and then work on it because she was going out of town and needed it asap. that worked and I restored it. She ended up just giving it to me and buying herself a new one. I had it for about 5 days and it worked perfectly fine. I thought well why not try the jailbreak thing and see what that is about since I supposedly can just restore it if I don't like it or something goes wrong. Did it and it worked fine. About 4 hours later I went to erase a app I had and didn't want any more and after I did it froze for about 3 seconds and when it came back about 80% of my apps were gone without a trace. I looked around and figured I could just restore it and sync it up so I plug it in and hit restore....anddddd now its worthless. It just stopped when the meter was about 15% full and then shut itself off and went back to the little itunes and usb picture and itunes told me it couldn't restore and a unknown error occurred. Ive since spent about 8-9 hours trying anything I can find and have went from error 21 to 14 to 1602 and numerous others I cant even remember,each time thinking I may be closer to solving the problem but getting no where. I'm now getting the 1602 error. I've tried turning off firewall and virus scanner, restoring with dfu, holding shift and hitting restore, loading this tiny umbrella and redsnow thing, even tried some ones tip of opening a bunch of youtube videos while restoring that some claimed worked for them. Im basically drained of ideas, patience, and energy. A. is there anything I haven't tried that could help? B. does it sound like something is wrong internally that cant be fixed? C. no I cant just go buy a new one. Ill gladly go through some ones ideas and steps if they think they can help and give more info if needed--and if this is posted in the wrong area or exact problem was posted before I apologize EDIT- now im getting 1601 error.

Last edited:
Have you used a jailbreak tool called iReb from sn0wbreeze it's designed to combat iTunes errors 1601,1602, etc etc

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is one of the answers...
Hold power + home button for 6 secs to force power-off. Then use redsn0w to enter pwnd-DFU mode -- required to restore a custom firmware w/iTunes. etc/hosts file should not contain gs.apple.com.

Maybe it could be a problem due to the battery connector, watcfh inside if one of the 4 parts is not damaged