What's new

Mandatory IOS Upgrade?

Russtopher

Reaction score
Why is it that my phone downloads the newest IOS system, even when I have “automatic upgrade” turned off? Very frustrating. [emoji35]

Thanks

Humm. I have my devices turned off for automatic update as well. I haven't had a problem, but in order to update your Apple devices have to be on wifi and plugged in. It doesn't just happen.
IMG_0960.jpg

My iPhone downloads the latest IOS updates in the background, but does not install them until I choose to. I, too, have automatic updates switched off.

Last edited:
That doesn’t sound like a normal iPhone behavior but in general practice it is good to get every update that comes to your iPhone.

Mine does it too. And I too, have my update mode turned off. It will download, and sometimes install it. [emoji35]

Mine does it too. And I too, have my update mode turned off. It will download, and sometimes install it. [emoji35]
iOS updates will download with automatic updates turned off but they won't install. Installing requires you to manually start the install. You can also delete the download if you choose by going to Settings>General>iPhone Storage and looking in the list of installed apps until you find the update. Tap on it and tap the delete button the next page.

iOS updates will download with automatic updates turned off but they won't install. Installing requires you to manually start the install. You can also delete the download if you choose by going to Settings>General>iPhone Storage and looking in the list of installed apps until you find the update. Tap on it and tap the delete button the next page.

That is normally correct. But if left unattended, my I phone also installs the newer IOS program too.

Thanks

The normal behaviour when automatic updates is turned off is to wait for you to manually install the update. It is not correct behaviour if the update installs itself. It shouldn't matter how long the iPhone is left unattended.
Go to Settings>General>Software Update and check to see if Automatic Updates has been activated. If so, Turn it off.

Last edited:
Mine always asks me if I want to update. As said by scifan57. I then can install it now or wait til later. But it had never installed on its own. And I have owned every iPhone up until the 7 plus which is what I am still using. From 3g on. A few of them anyhow. If yours is installing on its own, you have an issue that may need to be addressed. JMHO.

Just again yesterday, I caught it in the process of installing itself. Yes, I have the auto updates turned off. This has happened in the past too. One of the T-Mobile employees that I mentioned this to, said that it is not normal, and that he has the same issue with his phone.

I think you should take the iPhone in for a Genius Bar appointment at the nearest Apple Store. They can run a free diagnostic to determine just what is causing the problem.

I think you should take the iPhone in for a Genius Bar appointment at the nearest Apple Store. They can run a free diagnostic to determine just what is causing the problem.

Sounds like a sage plan.