What's new

Major iOS upgrade help needed etc

ianbeale

Reaction score
Hi,

I’m currently running an iphone 3gs which has 4.2.1 operating system I believe. The phone was jail broken about two years ago and has remained unchanged. the handset is about 2.5 years old (Gulp)

I have been considering upgrading to the latest iOS. I’m aware if I just upgrade through the normal process (by plugging into a pc) and ill lose any features of the jail breaking process. Not a problem. Will I lose anything else? Would this be recommended?

I have recently purchased a new ipad. Haven’t used it yet but will have the latest stuff. I am keen to regularise my iphone so that it works in harmony with the ipad and utilises the iCloud features before i get going with the ipad.

First problem. All my music that I possess (about 20gb) is on my phone. No other locations. It was once on a pc that has since been disposed off. So key questions.

How can I not lose my music? (and update to new iOS)
How can I get the music to the pad.
Will the iphone die?
Is it easy to sync these two together?

Any help much appreciated.

ianbeale said:
Hi,

I’m currently running an iphone 3gs which has 4.2.1 operating system I believe. The phone was jail broken about two years ago and has remained unchanged. the handset is about 2.5 years old (Gulp)

I have been considering upgrading to the latest iOS. I’m aware if I just upgrade through the normal process (by plugging into a pc) and ill lose any features of the jail breaking process. Not a problem. Will I lose anything else? Would this be recommended?

I have recently purchased a new ipad. Haven’t used it yet but will have the latest stuff. I am keen to regularise my iphone so that it works in harmony with the ipad and utilises the iCloud features before i get going with the ipad.

First problem. All my music that I possess (about 20gb) is on my phone. No other locations. It was once on a pc that has since been disposed off. So key questions.

How can I not lose my music? (and update to new iOS)
How can I get the music to the pad.
Will the iphone die?
Is it easy to sync these two together?

Any help much appreciated.

I'm afraid that the only way to upgrade the iOS on your phone is to connect it to the latest version of iTunes on a computer. OTA updates aren't possible for devices that are not already on iOS 5 and above. If you do that, the data, movies, TV shows, music, etc. on your phone will still be there after the update. It is, however, a good idea to backup your phone before starting the update.

Before starting the update, when syncing to the PC, you will have to transfer the contents of your iPhone to the PC, you should get a popup asking you if you want to transfer your purchases to the computer, if you don't, your phone will be erased during the sync.