What's new

Lost Iphone randomly comes back online. Is it not broken?

joeneugs

Reaction score
Hi,

I lost my Iphone 6 at the beach two days ago. I tried using the Find My Iphone app, but it listed the phone as being "offline". Just after I got home last night, my wife got an alert on her phone that my my "Iphone has been found" and it was back online showing it laying in the exact location we were at on the beach. I thought I had left it in my swim shorts when I went in the water, but that would mean it's destroyed, correct? Would it still be online if it was at the bottom of the ocean?

I'm thinking of heading back there tomorrow with a metal detector, but don't want to waste my time. Does anyone know how accurate the locations are on the Find my Iphone app? Also, if it's online and sending signals as to it's location, does this mean it's definitely not broken?

Also, I put it in lost mode.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Welcome to iPhoneForums, joeneugs!

Was it turned off when you lost it, or out of Wi-Fi or 3G range?

Supposedly someone found it and turned it on, that's why tracking started. It should be somewhere in that area. As far as I know, tracking through Find my iPhone is quite accurate. The circle that shows the area where it's found should show the accuracy: a small circle indicates more accuracy, a larger circle less accuracy.

Thanks J.A.!

No, the phone was on last time I had it. Reception was spotty in the area though. I thought maybe it was buried in the sand and someone dug it out, but it hasn't moved from the area on the beach since yesterday afternoon. I wouldn't think someone would find it and just leave it there.... oh well. I think I may make the 1.5 hour drive back tomorrow to see if I can recover it. As long as Find my iPhone is still working and it's still there.

Any idea how long a battery charge will last with the phone in lost mode? I think it was about 95% charged when I lost it in the afternoon on Saturday.

No idea how long the battery will last.

When the battery dies, your iPhone will send it's last location, if it's enabled in Settings - iCloud - Find my iPhone. That should help you find it as well.