What's new

looking for some itunes help......

loco

Reaction score
i just recently started using custom tones and ringtones on my iphone. i have the iphone 4. i use one of the free ringtone makers from the app store, and it works great cutting the file to the proper size and converting it to the proper format.

here is my problem......

i prefer to manually manage my music in itunes. i choose to do this because i have 2 daughters with ipods and we all use the same computer for syncing. well, if i put a new ringtone in my ringtones section of itunes, it remains greyed out and will not actually transfer to the phone. however, when i click on the phones summary, then click on ringtones at the top of the page, the ringtones appear. it seems as though they are not synced. so, when i check the box to sync ringtones, it immediatly wipes out all of my music, then syncs the the ringtones. the result is that i have the ringtones i wanted, but now my music is all gone. it literally takes me about an hour to re-copy all of my music to the phone.

so, how on earth do i add ringtones without loosing all of my music ??? when i manage music manually, i cannot have ringtones sync'd. when i have ringtones sync checked, it automatically un checks "manually manage my music"

truthfully, its things like this that make me hate itunes. this is such a great device, but i feel like its bounded by crappy itunes software. it would be so much better if we could simply drag and drop songs, ringtones, music etc, directly onto the phone with out having to use itunes.

help !!!

I always just moved the the ringtones to my desktop (when I had a windows PC) then dragged and dropped the ringtones into my synced device in iTunes. Worked fine for me :)

exactly..... its supposed to be that easy.

do you have your itunes set to "manually manage music" ?

exactly..... its supposed to be that easy.

do you have your itunes set to "manually manage music" ?

Yes I do. I've always had it set like that. Then again I do recall have some issues at one point in time. Your sure the ringtones are trimmed to 30 sec. time limits and m4r format correct?

yeah, the ringtone itself is correct. the problem is somehow in itunes. it wont allow me to have both boxes checked "manually manage music" and "sync all ringtones". its frustrating to spend an hour putting music on my phone, then decide to add another ringtone. when i add the ringtone, all my music disappears. the ringtone works fine, but no more music...... i really hate itunes. LOL

basically, the ringtones sit there greyed out until i sync. once i sync the ringtones move to the phone, but it removes all my music because its not allowing me to have "manually manage music" and "sync ringtones" checked at the same time.

im baffelled......

loco said:
yeah, the ringtone itself is correct. the problem is somehow in itunes. it wont allow me to have both boxes checked "manually manage music" and "sync all ringtones". its frustrating to spend an hour putting music on my phone, then decide to add another ringtone. when i add the ringtone, all my music disappears. the ringtone works fine, but no more music...... i really hate itunes. LOL

basically, the ringtones sit there greyed out until i sync. once i sync the ringtones move to the phone, but it removes all my music because its not allowing me to have "manually manage music" and "sync ringtones" checked at the same time.

im baffelled......

I'm gonna be honest. I am too! Instead of syncing manually through iTunes, try syncing your iPhone through iTunes, put all of your desired ringtones on your desktop, then proceed to drag and drop them to your synced device in the left hand column.

If you've already tried this, I apologize and I'll look for another way to work around your issue! :)

hey thanks alot. im going to do some googling and testing when i get home tonight. if i cant figure it out, i'll take some screen shots and post here.

i always come here for help first :)

loco said:
hey thanks alot. im going to do some googling and testing when i get home tonight. if i cant figure it out, i'll take some screen shots and post here.

i always come here for help first :)

Your welcome.
Sounds great!
I'll be looking for fixes myself! :)

Hello guys,

i have the same issue on "Manually manage music and videos" mode...
$Pasted Graphic 13.jpg

the new dropped ringtone (called 'maternelle' in my screeshot) is and stays greyed until i 'sync' tones.
The strange thing is that i was able to drop my first customized ringtone downloaded here:
iPhone tip: Use a Silent Ringtone to Screen Calls in Your Sleep | Richard K Miller
and it had been perfectly uploaded to my iPhone already in 'manage mode'.

Then, i create some ringtones by myself and ran into that 'greyed' problem
(i had to 'sync' tones and lost my tunes, then re-enabled the manage mode, and reuploaded all the music i like to ear on the go to my phone, but it is very time consuming.

Loco and darkstar2007, did you found a better solution ?

Thank you

Hg

I finally found THE SOLUTION :p:p:p !!!!

drag and drop of tones directly from Finder to the iDevice's library => greyed tones
(I believe that there is a bug in iTunes...)

You have to first to drag and drop the ringtones from the Finder to the iTunes Library of your computer.
Once (and only once) these ringtones are on your computer's iTunes Library, you can drag them from there to your iDevice Library.
I other words it is a two steps process, you have first to import your tones to iTunes, once they are in iTunes, you can transfer them to your iDevice.

I am sure it will help !

enjoy!

Note: if the Tones category do not appears on the left margin of the iTunes interface, you have to check the 'Tones' box in the 'Show' part of the General Preferences of iTunes. (that happened on my GF's computer)