What's new

locked to rogers

coldkilla

Reaction score
i just bought a 16gb iphone 4 from rogers today, its locked to rogers aswell. Im not sure of the firmware since i didn't open it yet, but lets just say its 4.1 with the newest firmware which cant be unlocked yet. But since there is a jailbreak out for 4.1, can i keep it locked but jailbreak it. And can i put a microsim in the phone and use a PAY AS YOU GO plan from rogers??

If you bought the iphone from Rogers, did you buy it with a plan? My guess is that you have to pay for a plan to buy their iphone. If this is the case, why do you want to use pay-as-you-go?

My understanding is that you can jb even the phone is locked.

i just bought a 16gb iphone 4 from rogers today, its locked to rogers aswell. Im not sure of the firmware since i didn't open it yet, but lets just say its 4.1 with the newest firmware which cant be unlocked yet. But since there is a jailbreak out for 4.1, can i keep it locked but jailbreak it. And can i put a microsim in the phone and use a PAY AS YOU GO plan from rogers??

well let me tell you what you can do....

the phone is locked to rogers so itunes will see a rogers sim card in there, it cannot tell if its a contract or pay as you go, so now you can take your micro sim and insert it, you dont have to jailbreak unless you want to but you wont need to use any ultrasn0w to unlock, unlock is so you can use other carriers then the one its locked to. but your using one its locked to so regardless of if its pay as you go or contract it will work

you understand correctly... but if you jailbreak a locked phone and try use another sim with out using un lock then you end up with an ipod touch...

but in his case he is using the carrier its locked to so he does not even have to jailbreak it...

you understand correctly... but if you jailbreak a locked phone and try use another sim with out using un lock then you end up with an ipod touch...

but in his case he is using the carrier its locked to so he does not even have to jailbreak it...

I thought the purpose of jb a locked phone is to use cydia for others apps that are not in the apple app store. I have not jb yet, so what do I know.

I thought the purpose of jb a locked phone is to use cydia for others apps that are not in the apple app store. I have not jb yet, so what do I know.

you are correct, jailbreaking enables its users to install apps from cydia that apple dont want you to install...

BUT... it also carries the unlock tool called Ultrasn0w, you cannot install ultra with out jailbreak. so some use the jailbreak only to unlock their phone and dont care about cydia apps, some use both happily and some dont care about the unlock...

god dam pialo i love haha =D =D =D

so i can just jailbreak it to get free apps without unlocking it to get apps =D

btw should i insert the microsim before i turn the phone on? or plug the phone into itunes without the sim, than install all my music and stuff and than put the sim inside?

god dam pialo i love haha =D =D =D

so i can just jailbreak it to get free apps without unlocking it to get apps =D

btw should i insert the microsim before i turn the phone on? or plug the phone into itunes without the sim, than install all my music and stuff and than put the sim inside?

you can just insert the sim with out turning it off then plug it into itunes and activate it, then you can sync your mp3s and movies and photos to the iphone.

do you plan to jailbreak? leave that till last if you do. wont harm your iphone if you dont but itunes might detect your phone jailbroken when you go to activate it..

yea im planning to jailbreak, btw im assuming i can download games and alot of other apps with cydia =D. since i have a microsim, i can chose any pay as you go plan right? because im planning to do the Socialite 25 plan for 25$ a month, it says i get unlimited mobile browsing and unlimited text messaging?, does that mean i get internet everywhere?? since it says "unlimited mobile browsing"? i can chose any plan/pay as you go "plan" i like im assuming?

yea im planning to jailbreak, btw im assuming i can download games and alot of other apps with cydia =D. since i have a microsim, i can chose any pay as you go plan right? because im planning to do the Socialite 25 plan for 25$ a month, it says i get unlimited mobile browsing and unlimited text messaging?, does that mean i get internet everywhere?? since it says "unlimited mobile browsing"? i can chose any plan/pay as you go "plan" i like im assuming?

yes you can download games and customise your iphone a lot with cydia.. you can get emulators and lots of other things..

i dont know how your carrier works, but the one i use i was able to take a pay as you go sim put it in my iphone and change the plan to one where i had unlimited internet texts and 100 minutes calls for x amount a month that i had to top up but did not have to top it up...

but the carrier said unlimited internet but once i got to 450mb it would say to me you have 50mb of data left lol..

but yes it means you get unlimited 3g anywhere any time.. i doubt your carrier will be like mine with the 3g but you never know. but i never chose the plan over itunes i had to send a text to a number to change my plan. i dont know how it works with your carrier but im sure if you call them they can do it for you and chose that plan that you mentioned.

yea i guess ill do that plan , after i isert the microsim inside, and i decide i want to activate or make an account on the sim by calling an assisstant that works for rogers, what should i say if they ask for "what phone are u using this simcard for"? and u know that plan im talking about Socialite 25, i get unlimited internet browsing, that means i get internet everywhere which is 3G?? how come its so cheap to get unlimit text and unlimit browsing and some callling options.. im guessing they dont expect ppl to do it on a iphone 4? should i turn 3G off i heard from ppl i should cause it kills teh battery?

Just watch out when networks say 'unlimited'. Over here in the uk 'unlimited' usually means 500mb unless you get a 'special' iPhone plan wtch give you 1gb.

In the uk you can use a pay as you go sim in any iPhone. You are supposed to let them know if you decide to use it in an iPhone. This is so they can put you on their 'special iPhone deals'.

It's all a con if you ask me...

Just watch out when networks say 'unlimited'. Over here in the uk 'unlimited' usually means 500mb unless you get a 'special' iPhone plan wtch give you 1gb.

In the uk you can use a pay as you go sim in any iPhone. You are supposed to let them know if you decide to use it in an iPhone. This is so they can put you on their 'special iPhone deals'.

It's all a con if you ask me...

yes i dont know how they get away with advertising unlimited when its really 500mb..

in america they claim they are using over 4GB a month with out a word.. dunno how true that is..

yea i guess ill do that plan , after i isert the microsim inside, and i decide i want to activate or make an account on the sim by calling an assisstant that works for rogers, what should i say if they ask for "what phone are u using this simcard for"? and u know that plan im talking about Socialite 25, i get unlimited internet browsing, that means i get internet everywhere which is 3G?? how come its so cheap to get unlimit text and unlimit browsing and some callling options.. im guessing they dont expect ppl to do it on a iphone 4? should i turn 3G off i heard from ppl i should cause it kills teh battery?

well your carrier wont ask why you need it, they probably dont care on what phone your going to use it as long as its their network ;)

you can turn off the 3g it does drain the battery but then you will only be able to use wifi to get online and whats the point of having an unlimited data plan if you have it off? lol

some carriers will give you wifi instead in wifi spots.

so cheap? yeah i guess carriers need to lower prices to compete with other carriers to get more customers so they can afford to do it.

but if you dont top up you dont get the monthly allowance but your not tied to a contract, i think thats really good.

so i guess ill turn on 3g when im out of school since my school as wifi =D

do you think that socialite 25 plan is good , it says unlimited browsing and it is 500mb i think thats enough for me =D

the jailberak works for the iphone 4 with 4.1 and the newest broadband right?

yes it does work with 4.1 the jailbreak...

depends how much you use the net, 500mb might be plenty for you.. all depends on you.

yo buddy, can u list some website where i can buy iphone 4 CASES.

and can u link me to a site that sells apple bumpers and i want the brand to be APPLE.