What's new

Listen volume on a 4s

retrorod

Reaction score
New here!! Hello everyone. :)

A strange one this. I have two identical 4s models. Listen volume on both is set to maximum. One is quite loud the other not. I'm a bit deaf to be sure, but the missus (she has excellent hearing) is complaining about her phone.

I can hear all good on mine, but can hardly hear a thing on hers?

Is there, other than the volume button, a means to increase volume? I've looked but to no avail. :(

If this is a hardware problem, does apple fix these things? or is it toss and buy new?

Thanks for your interest and replies. Retro.

Make sure that all settings are the same on each phone. Go to Settings, scroll down to Music, under playback check that EQ, Volume Limit, and Sound Check and set the same on both phones.

If you can't change the volume limit in Settings>Music, go to Settings>General>Restrictions>Volume Limit and make sure Allow Changes is checked off.

Firstly, thank you both for your interest in helping me here. I have only today gotten onto this matter.
Now, checking software settings, both are identical in all respects where I've checked. Both phones have software 9.1, the latest for these phones.
The interesting thing here is that whilst on the phone that is "quiet" to listen to at the ear, is adequately loud when on "speaker". I'm guessing when on "speaker" it plays through the phones audio speakers, right? If so, the villian in the piece may well be the ear piece speaker itself, a hardware fault?
Perhaps a visit to an iPhone store might be the next step. can you say howApple deal with hardware issues on older phones?
Thank you. RR

Firstly, thank you both for your interest in helping me here. I have only today gotten onto this matter.
Now, checking software settings, both are identical in all respects where I've checked. Both phones have software 9.1, the latest for these phones.
The interesting thing here is that whilst on the phone that is "quiet" to listen to at the ear, is adequately loud when on "speaker". I'm guessing when on "speaker" it plays through the phones audio speakers, right? If so, the villian in the piece may well be the ear piece speaker itself, a hardware fault?
Perhaps a visit to an iPhone store might be the next step. can you say howApple deal with hardware issues on older phones?
Thank you. RR
Genius Bar appointments are always free and a full diagnostic would determine the exact cause of the problem. An out of warranty repair, if necessary, would cost you about half the price the phone cost when new.

Before you go to the Apple Store, make a full backup of your iPhone, just in case. Also, if you haven't yet tried it, reset all settings. This will reset all settings to their factory default levels, just in case a changed setting somewhere is causing the problem. Go to Settings>General>Reset>Reset All Settings. This will not erase any data but you will have to re-enter any passwords for sites that normally remember you.

Thank you scifan57. Good advice again thank you. I'll try the reset, as you suggest. Might be time to see if I can swing a new iPhone from my plan provider! :)