What's new

iPhone 4: Ringer/Silent and Volume (+ and -) Not Responding

mullimx

Reaction score
I have the iPhone 4, it is out of warranty as I've owned it 1.7 years and have no extended warranty. Several days ago, the ringer/silence button quit responding (though is still slides up and down fine) as well as the volume down, or (-) button.

Yesterday, the up or (+) button quit responding as well. The internal volume, now controlled by SBSvolume still functions normally. The main issue this
causes is my inability to increase or decrease the volume during a phone call. Further, though I've installed a fix through Cydia that enables me to turn the ringer on/off, turning the ringer off/on is still more difficult.

I'm thinking this may be a hardware issue, though I'm hoping it's not. Several forums have suggested hard resets but I'm not certain that would work for this issue. Hoping someone knows of a fix, can link me to a vid that will show how to fix it or can offer any advice to get this issue resolved outside of Cydia app fixes. I'm willing to open the phone and solder if there is someone who can point me in a "how to" direction; assuming this is infact a hardware issue and it can be resolved by soldering.

Thanks for listening!

Doing a hard reset should be tried before getting the soldering iron out I think.

Sent from iPhone