What's new

Lifeproof for iPhone 5 Availability....

Are you holding out for Lifeproof?

• Trying your best to hold out for Lifeproof... LOL!!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Got email yesterday for preorder ....
Looks too only be case as I don't see the holster available...

$image-3797515197.jpg

Last edited:
Thats the email I got. I think its funny that I have to wait to buy direct from Lifeproof, but according to BestBuy.com my case will be here this week. I hope they are right.

I saw that today when I checked my order status. I find it hard to believe that best buy didn't know this prior to putting the pre order up.

So, I guess I was one of the lucky people who got to order it early last week. Had it for a few days now, and the case is the best build quality I've ever had on an iPhone. If you have any questions, feel free to ask and I'll try to answer.

For the iPhone 4's in our family, we've used cases from SwitchEasy, Belkin, iFrogz, and Otterbox. Each had their pluses (SwitchEasy's Eclipse being my favorite), but all eventually either wore down (*cough* Otterbox *cough*) or didn't offer the protection we wanted. With the 5, we opted for the most protection that's still functional.

All said, the only cons I've yet to see with the case are:
  1. The case's screen component isn't 100% flush with the iPhone's screen, which takes getting used to. It's obviously a cover and not a, "skin,"-like piece.
  2. The dock door doesn't lay flush when the phone is plugged in. It's weird to describe, but the door props the phone up on the bottom a bit and doesn't seem, "right."
My wife has already taken the phone from me once so I won't pour water on it just for giggles. Sigh.

$lwE7k.jpg

P.S.
Y
es, I signed up just to post this. Wish LifeProof had let the media or a small few have the case a few weeks back to make purchasing it less of a crap-shoot. Figured I'd help anyone I can know what they're plopping $80 on.

Last edited by a moderator:
The major concern I have is the window on the back, any chance you can shoot an image of it? Is there a plastic cover over the window? How is the audio quality, and does the case effect flash when taking pictures? Thanks so much for posting what you have, there is a pretty much no other information about this case in the wild!

The major concern I have is the window on the back, any chance you can shoot an image of it? Is there a plastic cover over the window? How is the audio quality, and does the case effect flash when taking pictures? Thanks so much for posting what you have, there is a pretty much no other information about this case in the wild!

I kept a (purchased separately, different vendor) skin protector on the back, just because I'm concerned about scratches, so a, "naked," back won't have the embossing around the logo, but here you go:

$11-5-2012 4-04-22 PM.jpg

Yes, it is a plastic cover. There's a thin, black border that surrounds/becomes the opening, which recesses into the plastic cover.

As for audio quality, I think there are really 3 aspects of this:
  1. Microphone audio quality
    1. My wife says she noticed no difference when talking with me on the phone, so I take that as a major win. I expected it to be muffled, hollow, etc., but it isn't as bad as I thought.
    2. You don't need to use the included headphone adapter unless you want to use waterproof headphones. They engineered the headphone cap so it's thick enough for the EarPods to plug in without issue.
      1. Note that, with the headphone adapter, you can't use the volume or play/pause controls. I guess that's the trade-off for being underwater, but not a deal breaker for me. Also, a second headphone cap comes screwed into the headphone adapter (just in case...).
  2. In-call/ear speaker audio quality
    1. I expected this to sound.. funky.., but it didn't. It sounds good. Not case-free good, of course, but better than I expected given the thin plastic covering the speaker.
  3. Speaker audio quality
    1. So, this is where I wish I could say the case is outstanding, but it does have problems.
      1. Problems
        1. The sound sometimes gets garbled by the case, especially quick tones (like my SMS).
        2. There is a definite distortion for some sounds more than others, just because of the acoustics of the case.
        3. I find myself changing the volume a lot, depending on what's playing (videos or games, for instance), much more so than without the case. Not sure if this is a placebo, though.
      2. Pluses!
        1. They saw fit to include not 1, but 2 audio openings for the speaker/microphone at the bottom of the phone. This is great, because I usually cover the bottom speaker with my finger when watching a video or playing a game.
          1. The first opening is straight-out of the bottom, like the normal speaker.
          2. The second opening points up, sitting flush with the front of the case.
        2. Because of the 2 audio openings, the acoustics for the speakers can sound great, and audio does sound loud (depending on the type of audio). There are downsides, but louder is usually better.
Regarding flash, I see no issues at all.

Without flash (in a low-light place):

$image2.jpg

With flash (in a low-light place):
$image.jpg

Also, I want to say that the instructions pretty much require (as much as a piece of paper can...) a full-submersion for 1 hour to test the waterproof seal of the case. I did this, and nothing (not even a mist) entered the case. This really is waterproof.

Wow. Thank you so much Poet. Wasn't expecting such an indepth response! One thing I do with my iPhone 4 Lifeproof case is open up the dock door when the phone is away from harm. This lets the audio come out almost as loud as being caseless. Could help you not miss some of those sms msgs! Thanks for the sample pics too. It's people like you that makes the Internet amazing!

P.s. I love the Domo-bomb haha

Mine already shipped from Best Buy. I complained to them online about the misleading ad on their site. Got some scripted email from a rep who didn't even read my complaint. Then all of a sudden I go to cancel my order and find out it has shipped. I got my UPS tracking # which of course shows me nothing right now, but it is a real # at least.

Looks like I won't be preordering as I just was notified they won't have any accessories until next year... I really need a belt clip holder,I don't want too keep putting the damn phone in my pocket (as I do now) 👎👎.... Guess ill keep looking...

To those of you who already have the lifeproof for iPhone 5, Do you know whether the Lightning to 30-pin Adapter (0.2 m cable adapter) will work with the Lifeproof case? I have read that the lightning end of this adapter is a different size then the lightning to USB cable that comes with the phone and does not fit with some cases. I have not bought the adapter yet and am still on the wait list for the case. The adapter is a necessity for me and if it does not work with the lifeproof then I will have to go with a different case.

To those of you who already have the lifeproof for iPhone 5, Do you know whether the Lightning to 30-pin Adapter (0.2 m cable adapter) will work with the Lifeproof case? I have read that the lightning end of this adapter is a different size then the lightning to USB cable that comes with the phone and does not fit with some cases. I have not bought the adapter yet and am still on the wait list for the case. The adapter is a necessity for me and if it does not work with the lifeproof then I will have to go with a different case.

I have no issues with the lightning to 30-pin cable adapter, because it's the same lightning male connector as on the included cable. I have not tried the smaller adapter, but I can tell you it would not fit.

I have no issues with the lightning to 30-pin cable adapter, because it's the same lightning male connector as on the included cable. I have not tried the smaller adapter, but I can tell you it would not fit.

Thanks! Since I have not purchased the lightning to 30 pin cable yet, I can only go by what I read that stated the male ends were different. Thanks for clarifying and I know feel comfortable ordering the Lifeproof when they send me the link!