What's new

Lifeproof for iPhone 5 Availability....

Are you holding out for Lifeproof?

• Trying your best to hold out for Lifeproof... LOL!!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I got my case yesterday. It's not as bulky as an otterbox. It's ok I guess. It does seal up the phone pretty well. The screen protector doesn't fit flush the screen so there is definitely a gap. I like the cover for the pin connector and the headphones. I think that will help keep dust out of there. I can still hear pretty well with the case on. The speakers are covered up though.

Do I think it was worth the $80? No way. The otterbox defender is cheaper and will do the same, however the otterbox is just too bulky. I also like that Lifeproof put in a plastic window over the apple logo. Otterbox doesn't do this.

I like the design of the Lifeproof, but its mostly plastic that I don't think will hold up.

notchstang92 said:
I like the design of the Lifeproof, but its mostly plastic that I don't think will hold up.

I agree with this. I really liked the case but it broke in less than seven months. And I don't think I was that hard on it. The plastic that the door is made of is very brittle. It needs to be a sturdier plastic.

I agree with this. I really liked the case but it broke in less than seven months. And I don't think I was that hard on it. The plastic that the door is made of is very brittle. It needs to be a sturdier plastic.

I am very disappointed with my case. The screen protectors is nice, but it gets dust in it and there is too much space between the screen and the case. Also it is sometimes hard to hear calls with it. I get these odd sounds now during calls sometimes.

This will be my first and last Lifeproof case. Definitely not worth the money. Does anyone know if I could return it for my money back? This case is not worth $79.99.

notchstang92 said:
Does anyone know if I could return it for my money back?
I do believe they have a 30 day guarantee. Drop Lifeproof a call or email... they'll get you taken care of.

I hope so. This case is terrible and I would recommend everyone not buy it. Otterbox quality is shaky on iPhone 5 cases but you aren't paying $80 for the case.

I managed to find one of these at my local Best Buy today, last one they had in stock, so I grabbed it. Have gone through the install, and I can honestly say that I am not impressed so far. There is a good gap between the protector and the screen, and on my phone it is making the top and bottom sections of the screen very unresponsive.

I am also finding most audio to be very muffled and staticky, have to say that this is not what I would expect our of an $80 case.

Will likely be returning it tomorrow.

Sent from my iPad mini using Forum Runner

mesii23 said:
I managed to find one of these at my local Best Buy today, last one they had in stock, so I grabbed it. Have gone through the install, and I can honestly say that I am not impressed so far. There is a good gap between the protector and the screen, and on my phone it is making the top and bottom sections of the screen very unresponsive.

I am also finding most audio to be very muffled and staticky, have to say that this is not what I would expect our of an $80 case.

Will likely be returning it tomorrow.

Sent from my iPad mini using Forum Runner

That's my impression of it. I'm going to return mine. I'm so disappointed with it. What a rip off.

Do you have version 1 with the clear plastic or version 2 with the white foam strip on the back shell ?

The back of shell had clear plastic over the apple logo. I returned it today to Best Buy today and got an Otterbox commuter and a screen protector. After another muffled call and odd tones while on the phone I had enough of the lifeproof. The I opened my USB port and the rubber insert popped out. That was it for me and this POS case.

I have seen one good review here and a few bad. The best buy reviews are predominantly bad. Unless there are others here with good reviews I think I'll be sitting this one out until I see some evidence this case is worth $80. Therefore, if you have something good to say, now would be the time

Drop your iPhone in the toilet w/ it in an Otterbox Defender... then tell us it will do the same.

I have done this very same thing with my i5 in an otter box defender with the same result. I have also dropped my phone from 50 ft in the air (I work in very high places) it bounced several times and landed in a creek. Both times I took my defender case off and wiped my phone done and put case back on. Everything works still. My case just has scratches on it. Can your life proof fall 50 ft with out breaking ? Doubtful my roommate has a LP and it broke when he tripped and fell on it. My option life proof is extremely over rated. I'm waiting for the taktik case.

I have done this very same thing with my i5 in an otter box defender with the same result. I have also dropped my phone from 50 ft in the air (I work in very high places) it bounced several times and landed in a creek. Both times I took my defender case off and wiped my phone done and put case back on. Everything works still. My case just has scratches on it. Can your life proof fall 50 ft with out breaking ? Doubtful my roommate has a LP and it broke when he tripped and fell on it. My option life proof is extremely over rated. I'm waiting for the taktik case.

My wife has an Otterbox Defender and, sorry, but her phone would not survive a 50ft drop, let alone water exposure (other than a quick misting, maybe a splash). It's one of the worst cases I've ever purchased, given that the silicone comes off easily and tears. Not worth buying. The Commuter? Probably a better case, given that it's not as expensive and doesn't seem to be as breakable.

As to those who purchased the LifeProof iPhone 5 case and are disappointed: I completely understand from the point of view of going from a standard case (Otterbox, SwitchEasy, Griffin, etc.) to it. My personal view is that this case is built to be impervious to the elements and the drawbacks (muffled tones, screen protector gap) are outweighed by the fact that I do not have to worry about the phone at all. Once I came to understand that the plastic protector has to withstand the water pressure of a 6ft submersion, I understood the reason for the gap and the flexibility of the less-than-stellar plastic screen. Same with the rubber material covering the speakers.

I feel like LifeProof failed in their marketing of this product by not being forthcoming about its usability versus the standard cases on the market. Did they build hype? Yes, but that hype has obviously faded now that the product has been released to the public. Is it the best everyday case? No, not by a long-shot. Is it one of the only cases that is waterproof? Yes. Is it the only waterproof case (other than the Incipio Atlas, which might be vaporware) that is small enough to be used every day and be put in a pocket? Yes.

Also, even though I paid full price for my LifeProof, there appears to be a wholesaler who has them for $55 + $7 shipping, but I can't speak to their validity as a vendor: LifeProof Protective Case for iPhone 5/4/4s | WHOLESALE FACTORY

Does your wife have the i5 or i4s? My wife has 4s and the same happened to her defender case. I dropped her down to a commuter case. The i5 defender cases rubber is different it has yet to stretch. It even looks and feels different than the 4s. My complaint with the defender for any phone is that the phone itself scratches because of the slight movement inside the case. That's why I'm waiting for the tactic which incases the phone in rubber then the plastic.