What's new

Keyboard responsiveness

mancuk29

Reaction score
Is it me or is the iPhone 5 keyboard a little hit and miss ?

Ive come from the s3 which I purchased after selling my old 4s I've noticed the keyboard is sometimes a little unresponsive I don't have fat fingers an am ok at typing despite the keyboard being smaller than my s3 but I'm finding it a little hit and miss
Is it just me

I hope not because I love the iOS keyboard way more accurate

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Think it's just getting use to going from bigger screen ... Keyboard takes some getting use to

I believe that there is definitely some responsiveness issues, especially around the m. or backspace key tends to be unresponsive as well As the space bar

Seems much worse in apps that do not utilize the full screen

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Glad it's not just me I went to apple today in the Trafford centre to ask but it was rammed I'm sure apple will fire out an update soon ... Is it better to type with one or two thumbs ? I was use to using two thumbs on my s3 but seem to make loads of mistakes on the 5

Is it me or is the iPhone 5 keyboard a little hit and miss ?

Ive come from the s3 which I purchased after selling my old 4s I've noticed the keyboard is sometimes a little unresponsive I don't have fat fingers an am ok at typing despite the keyboard being smaller than my s3 but I'm finding it a little hit and miss
Is it just me

By suggesting it is the iPhone 5, you are implying that the new in-cell touch screen is having an issue. At present there are no reports about the new touch screen in regards to failure to detect or offset detection of a touch event.

Is this issue showing up both in portrait and landscape mode? If you get a chance, please test an iPhone 4 or 4S with iOS 6. That will help isolate a few things.

There are several threads about this over on the Apple support communities. So at least we know that we are not the only ones having the issue

My friend has an iPhone 4S running iOS six, and I have not been able to re-create the problem as of yet.

As for my iPhone five, I notice it to be worse in portrait mode although it is not immune to it in landscape mode, But definitely worse in portrait for me. The bottom right-hand corner of the screen often tends to be nearly impossible to use. Again, this is especially bad in apps that don't use the full-screen, if that makes any difference

There are several threads about this over on the Apple support communities. So at least we know that we are not the only ones having the issue

My friend has an iPhone 4S running iOS six, and I have not been able to re-create the problem as of yet.

As for my iPhone five, I notice it to be worse in portrait mode although it is not immune to it in landscape mode, But definitely worse in portrait for me. The bottom right-hand corner of the screen often tends to be nearly impossible to use. Again, this is especially bad in apps that don't use the full-screen, if that makes any difference

Until the subject hits the tech blogs, I consider the issues at the Apple support pages as possibly a "user error or misperception". Too many people post there with no research.

Your further observations have me rather perplexed. If in fact there is a major issue with the new touch sensor, this might explain why I am seeing factory yield rates that seem very low for a device that has been in production for over 2 months. Time do some research it seems.

Thank you very much for your time and further input.

Although not serious, I am definitely "missing" the keys on the edges of the screen more often (portrait) than I do on my 4S. Regularly not getting q / p / 1 / 0 / - / " the fist time I try. I could just be down to ergonomics, but I suspect something is set just a little differently than it used to be.

Honestly, I thought it was just me at first. then I used my sons 4s and I remember it like an old hat. My 4s was DEFINITELY easier to type on. I use mine one-handed and in portrait mode.

I don't know if it's a sensitivity issue, a accuracy issue or a auto correct/software issue. But in this user's opinion, definitley a real problem. It is bad enought that it might make me go to a.... dare I say.... SAMSUNG.

Hope we get an update on it sooner than later.

I have had iPhones since the first one and yes this keyboard is not as accurate as the last ones.

The keyboard software in iOS 6 is the same across all devices. So the odds are it is a hardware issue in the touch sensor itself if everyone's post on the subject are valid. Which at this point, I am inclined to believe.

I almost have to laugh. I can't buy an iPhone 5 because of a software glitch on VZW end that won't resolve until the 26th. I was pretty ticked off about that fact until this thread. VZW might have actually done me a huge favor by making me wait. Irony.

I never even thought about turning the phone landscape/sideways to type. Works just fine and easier for my aging eyes to see too.

I too am having problems with the iPhone 5 keyboard. I don't know if it's the screen or the size of the keys but I'm making a lot of typing mistakes. I don't have problems with my iPhone 4 with IOS 6. I'm glad it wasn't just me.

I'm wondering if the restore from computer is the culprit? I don't know enough to say it is but I reset my 5 and I'm restoring from cloud to see if that helps.