What's new

Jailbroken iPhone 3G. Works OK but won't activate. Where can I go from here?

nerak99

Reaction score
I bought a "bricked" iPhone 3G
I have successfully restored it to the point that it is a jailbroken 3G on 4.2.1 with Baseband 06:15:00. I have got shsh blobs for 4.2.1 (8C148) and also 4.1 (8B117)

The phone is tied to O2 and I have checked with O2 that it is neither blocked nor is it stolen. It is Unactivated.

iTunes will not Activate it and neither will iTunes agree to update the firmware. (1015 error (or is it 1051?)).
iTunes says Sim is unsupported.

The SIM data is successfully read by RedSn0w and so I don't think that the phone is broken in that respect.

I have tried SAM in Cydia but gain the impression that SAM activation is no longer possible due to Apple servers being "fixed"

Anyway, I thus far have a iPod, which is quite nice.

Any ideas on how I might get the Phone to Activate? I am not worried if the fix means I can no longer JB the phone.

SAM unlocks require a saved ticket that was obtained and saved before Apple closed the loophole.

Try this. Open up RedSn0w, select the IPSW for your 3G (iOS 4.2.1 IPSW). Go back to the initial screen and click on Jailbreak. Put your device into DFU mode, then once you get to the screen with the tick boxes, tick 'install Cydia' and tick 'deactivate', and do a fresh jailbreak for the 3G.

By the time you replied I had it working via a 3.1.2 restore and ultrasn0w unlock although I should not have had to unlock it as it is an O2 phone.
Anyway, I suspect that if I tried iTunes I would get a 1015 error due to BB being 6:15

Can I down grade the BB and hence head back to a standard, non-JB iPhone3?

You can downgrade the baseband. 05.13 or 05.16 are easily downgradeable with 3G and 3GS after upgrading to the iPad baseband.

Then after downgrading the baseband, preserve the baseband using RedSn0w, then put your device into Pwned DFU and restore/downgrade out of your jailbroken stage.

Then after downgrading the baseband, preserve the baseband using RedSn0w, then put your device into Pwned DFU and restore/downgrade out of your jailbroken stage.

I have managed to get the device to Bb 5.13 firmware 4.1 jb with Cydia. I expected iTunes to agree to upgrade it without fuss to 4.2 and thus end up with a completely standard iPhone. I am getting the not eligible message from iTunes. This is an improvement on 1015 at least.

Can you advise on getting to a phone that Apple will agree to sign.

It is an iphone3g a1303a

Hi, would you mind expanding a little on your last post here?