What's new

Can't activate iPhone 3G

mrjaffa

Reaction score
Hi guys. Trying to fix a friends iPhone 3G (or is it 3GS :-/ ) after he tried restoring and updating it whilst it was jailbroken and unlocked. He didn't realise he would lose his unlock. However, it isn't working even with an 02 sim which is where it was from originally. It just says it can't activate and iTunes says there is no sim installed.

I tried restoring it again via iTunes but its just doing the same. I've ran TinyUmbrella and I'm not sure how the SHSH blobs work but there don't appear to be any saved, I'm thinking that means he never saved any via Cydia so is a downgrade out of the option?

I've read i06.01 can be JB but I'm assuming this isn't possible until its activated.

I've read tons of different sites. But can't seem to find the answer. Any ideas?

Thanks.

How was the iPhone 3G unlocked? If the phone was factory/permanent unlocked, it should not have any issues with activation. It could be that the latest firmware is not yet compatible with the older 3G? I'll take a look around for this problem. For now, you may want to post up some info, firmware version, modem firmware and which phone.

Thanks for your reply. I'll post back in the morning with extra info. I'm certain it was unlocked via JB.

Do u know if there is a way to downgrade if SHSH blogs have not been saved and whether u can JB before the phone has been activated?

You cannot retrieve blobs if the iOS has stopped signing unless it's already on Cydias severs. You can jailbreak before you activate. And while jailbreaking, you can hacktivate it while jailbreaking with RedSn0w

Ok guys. So it's an iPhone 3GS. I've successfully jailbroken it without activating it using redsnow. But does that also unlock it? I can't see an option to unlock or is there something else to do via Cydia as I'm getting no service.

Thanks again :)

Unlocking requires you to have the proper baseband and the use of UltraSn0w from Cydia.

I'm done. Finally. Ultrasnow said it supported baseband 06:15:00 but it wasn't working. So I downgraded and not it works. Only took me all afternoon.

Thanks for your help.

I had that too. So looks like it needed the downgrade. :)