What's new

iPhone (4/4s) as a gift, can't activate in Canada!

TheBigJ

Reaction score
I apologize if this is duplicated somewhere but if it is I couldn't find it.

So, my grandpa gave me a brand new iphone that he bought on ebay. I don't even know if it is a 4 or a 4s as they are indistinguishable. It did not come with a sim card. I tried one from a carrier here (Rogers) which did not work. All I can get the phone to do is tell me that the sim is not valid and that i need to insert the sim that came with the phone. I cannot get itunes to do anything either. It just states that the phone is not activated. My question is this:

Can a locked AT&T iPhone be unlocked and used in Canada with a Canadian carrier? Also it would be great if I could figure out if the damn thing is a 4 or a 4s. I'm unable to get any further info from the phone such as os, firmware etc. As I said above, I'm sorry if this is a duplicate but I rather doubt it is as I searched for a while.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Big J

If it's a 4S when you hold down the home button Siri will come up, if you hold down home on a 4 the voice activator will come up, either way if your phone is on iOS5 you won't be able to unlock it.

Wrong...Siri is disabled by default voice activation will pop up on either until you turn her on

On an iphone 4, there is only 1 black marker on the low part of the steel band. On the iphone 4s it has two of them, one at the top and one at the bottom.

You can see that in this picture:

iphone44s.jpg

notice the black marks on the steel bands.

Wrong...Siri is disabled by default voice activation will pop up on either until you turn her on

Siri can be enabled during initial device setup before you even get to the springboard. I suppose that's another way you could tell, if you have Siri option during device setup it's a 4S. But just go with the method lolwaitwut posted.