What's new

Jailbreaking and ios5?

iphone4ever

Reaction score
If I decide to jailbreak (and I am 95% sure I am going to) what happens if you are jailbroken on the soon to be released iOS 5 and you want to do an OTA update? Would you have to unjailbreak each time there is an OTA update or will the update just add to what's already on the device still jailbroken?

Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net

iphone4ever said:
If I decide to jailbreak (and I am 95% sure I am going to) what happens if you are jailbroken on the soon to be released iOS 5 and you want to do an OTA update? Would you have to unjailbreak each time there is an OTA update or will the update just add to what's already on the device still jailbroken?

That's a real good question. I'll have to look into that

iphone4ever said:

You have to use iTunes one last time. Update to IOS 5 through iTunes then it's all OTA from there. To answer your question, if you update your firmware you lose your jailbreak.

You can decline an update until there's a jailbreak for it, or take the update and wait until there's a jailbreak for it.

That's how it'll work :D

darkstar2007 said:
You have to use iTunes one last time. Update to IOS 5 through iTunes then it's all OTA from there. To answer your question, if you update your firmware you lose your jailbreak.

You can decline an update until there's a jailbreak for it, or take the update and wait until there's a jailbreak for it.

Wouldn't that be a hassle. All apple has to do is throw constant updates out there.

iCrank said:
Wouldn't that be a hassle. All apple has to do is throw constant updates out there.

They could, but I'm sure there will be a remind me in 5-7 days option. I hope :D!

Then again I could be wrong, but I don't see them doing it any other way!

Last edited:
darkstar2007 said:

I thought OTA updates were usually the smaller files that they just add to the existing firmware. Just fixing or adding but not stripping everything away and sending the whole thing like they've always done. That was the reason for the jailbreak question. So, in the future we will have to unjailbreak every time there is a new minor update? Like icrank said - that would be a major hassle! Hmmm...

iphone4ever said:
I thought OTA updates were usually the smaller files that they just add to the existing firmware. Just fixing or adding but not stripping everything away and sending the whole thing like they've always done. That was the reason for the jailbreak question. So, in the future we will have to unjailbreak every time there is a new minor update? Like icrank said - that would be a major hassle! Hmmm...

Well like I said i could be wrong! That was just an assumption! Lol. I forgot about apple sending out patches with iOS 5. I was thinking full firmware updates. That's a valid question I'm going to research. I'll post back with results!

We might not know until we cross that bridge though! I'm just hoping it won't be very complicating. Although I'm sure It will be. I know apple is killing the ability to downgrade to an unsigned firmware :(.

As stated by MuscleNerd

“over-the-air delta updates of iOS should be fine for

JBers (even if Apple didn’t let you disable them, the JB
itself can)”
This means iOS 5 will not impair the ability to jailbreak on devices that are already pwned by the limera1n exploit.

So this means you'll have to cut the OTA's off.

darkstar2007 said:
As stated by MuscleNerd

itself can)”
This means iOS 5 will not impair the ability to jailbreak on devices that are already pwned by the limera1n exploit.

Thanks for you help!

darkstar2007 said:
As stated by MuscleNerd

itself can)”

Thanks for the above statement. This clears up a bit