What's new

Jailbreak will ruin the Baseband?

Mastermrz

Reaction score
Okay so i called T-Mobile to fix an internet issue on my moms iPhone 4 and the question they asked is if my moms iPhone 4 is jailbroken which i replied no. They said if they want to continue, i need to jailbreak it.

NOTE: This iPhone 4 is unlocked, my moms uncle bought it unlocked from Germany

So i asked my friend about it but he said that i should not jailbreak it because i will loose the unlock, is that true?

T-mobile told you to jailbreak it? I find that hard to believe. Jailbreaking is not approved by apple and therefore invalidates your warranty. I don't see how jailbreaking would fix a network problem anyway. What is the problem perhaps we could help?

You can't ruin your baseband only update it which would loose your unlock unless you have a factory unlocked phone. Currently only one baseband is unlockable on the iPhone 4. So if you've updated past 4.0.2 (I think) then you won't be able to unlock the iPhone 4 unless you preserved your baseband with a custom ipsw...

No joke, T-Mobile actually said if we can do any advancements, i need to have it jailbroken. They didnt tell me to do it, they only recommended it so we can proceed.

My moms iPhone 4 was bought from Germany where Apple sells the iPhone 4 unlocked, unlike here in the USA when it only works on AT&T.

What do you guys think?

I don't think t-mobile really know what they are talking about as they don't officially have the iPhone. If your phones factory unlocked then you won't ever loose the unlock.

I know there's something different about using t-mobile in the USA to others but i wouldn't think you should need to jailbreak it. There's a lot of tweaks on cydia specifically for t-mobile users.

Which version is the phone on anyway and what's this Internet problem...?