What's new

JailBreak on iPhone 4 IOS 4.2.1 Help Please

tankie_sean

Reaction score
Hi all.

I was a long user of the Blackberry Storm and used to instal the leaked updates before my vendor would allow its users to download ad instal.

Now when it comes down to the Apple iPhone 4, i have no idea what to do or expect, i have looked through most of the posts within the iPhone4 hacking and can not find what i am looking for?

So i thought i would ask here and see if i get a stright forward answer?

My question is..... i would like to Jailbreak my iPhone 4 IOS 4.2.1 (am waiting out at mo for unteathered) but i would like to know if there is any things that would stop working on my iPhone, i have read on the net that jailbreaking can stop MMS's, Facetime etc and i would sooner find out what is compromised prior to me jailbreaking once it comes out?

If anyone could answer this for me and let me know what happens once jailbroken i will be a happy pre jailbreaker..

Many thanks

Tankie_Sean

Different people have different experiences when jailbreaking. 99 times out of 100 everything goes smoothly. If you do experience problems then a restore usually fixes it.

I've been jailbreaking my iPhones for 3 years now and havent encountered any problems I couldn't solve...

This is good to know, as the last thing i wish to do is jailbreak the phone and then find out that i cant use certain functions on there, i know there is added things you can add such as shsh apps etc which will be good, but i guess as i dont know anyone that has a iPhone 4 and has taken the plunge i can not get to see one in action to compare, i guess it is some thing you have to decide to do or not do, but i guess i worry to much incase i mess something up as i know when i had my BB and i bricked it for the first time, my heart dropped out my ass for a moment till i found a work round on good old GOOGLE lol.

Does anyone else have any thing to add about jailbreak on their phone, would like to hear from iphone 4 users plzzzzzzzzz

You can't brick an iPhone from jailbreaking since the first 2G iPhone.

SHSH isn't an app. It's a bunch of files you need if you have to restore your phone and don't want to upgrade your firmware. For example I'm on 4.1 just now whith an untethered jailbreak. My phone went into recovery mode by itself for some reason last week. I had to restore it to get it to work again. I should be on 4.2.1 and put up with a tethered jailbreak but because I had cydia save my SHSH blobs I'm still on 4.1...

This is good to know, as the last thing i wish to do is jailbreak the phone and then find out that i cant use certain functions on there, i know there is added things you can add such as shsh apps etc which will be good, but i guess as i dont know anyone that has a iPhone 4 and has taken the plunge i can not get to see one in action to compare, i guess it is some thing you have to decide to do or not do, but i guess i worry to much incase i mess something up as i know when i had my BB and i bricked it for the first time, my heart dropped out my ass for a moment till i found a work round on good old GOOGLE lol.

Does anyone else have any thing to add about jailbreak on their phone, would like to hear from iphone 4 users plzzzzzzzzz

The rumour is apparently

Some bad news if you were eagerly anticipating the release of an untethered jailbreak solution for iOS 4.2.1. The iPhone Dev Team has hinted that this solution – that was initially expected to launch by Christmas – could be delayed by a few days. In a message posted on Twitter, Comex from the iPhone Dev Team has said that he might be missing the Christmas deadline.

While there is an alternative solution available – one that the Dev Team may release if the current release fails to work appropriately – that solution may not be ideal considering that it will require users to take an SHSH blob backup for iOS 4.2b3. Also, the solution from Comex is expected to come with a univesal jailbreak tool that could help all iDevice owners including iPhone 4, Apple TV 2G and iPod Touch 4G.

Just an FYI to the OP.
I spent a whole day trying to jail break 4.2.1 only to discover that when you go to the site jailbreak me.com to do the jail break, it will give you a "Your OS is too new to jail break. Please downgrade to an earlier version."

Anyway I spent most of the day trying to downgrade to 3.1 to 4.0.1 and 4.1.
No luck doing that in both Itunes and tiny umbrella. I encountered way to many issues to possibly explain in detail on here. BUT, there is good news as I have been here. You can use Red Snow to upgrade 4.2.1 but you have to boot the phone each time in tethered mode (which is not big deal really )
to use cydia and your jail break applications. If you boot normally, you will have the cydia app but you will not have any access to your jail break apps until you do a reboot of the phone. All your original Apple apps, photos, music, Icons will still work just the same in either boot mode.
Its a little pain in the butt to do, but if your patient it will work. I have had my phone Jail broken for 2 days now and still running the current 4.2.1 and no issues experienced at this writing.

Last edited:
Many thanks for all your replys on my topic.

As current i am still waiting out for the unteathered jailbreak, this is due to me having the new phone and jumping stright in and updating through itunes to ios 4.2.1 and as normal regreting what i done as i cant do what i wish to lol.

osso12 thanks for the update, i have looked into doing this on the teathered jailbreak as i know that it can be done to the ios 4.2.1 but i think i remember reading in a few topics that there are some issues that if you JB the 4.2.1 ios you cant restore back to normal if you were to take it for servicing to a apple store, this might be wrong?????

i must admit i really do wish JB my iPhone 4 as for one i can add extra apps and themes to my iphone but hopefully i can carrier unlock it as with my job, i go to alot of different countrys and usually use a PAYG sim card to reduce costs i just hope i can do this as well soon.

Being a Big NOOB to all this iPhone stuff i need as much help as i can.

Hope to hear from you all soon

I have been jailbroken on iPhone 4 since October. I believe it is a very stable hack and I don't have any issues. The pros greatly outweigh the cons.

Cordishead; I take it you JB on lower basement than 4.2.1?
As seeing from above, all us that have 4.2.1 can't down grade without 4.1 files which alot of us don't

While we are on the topic ill go ahead and post a link to were you can download all the firmware versions.

My thought is, I might not be able to go back down to a lower version though. But Since I am on a current version I do not really have a reason at this point as the phone is working fine. I hardly ever turn it off so it is not really an issue if I have to go tethered.

Here are all the firmware files:
iPod, iPhone and iPad Firmware Download

To get the older versions click on the link directly under
iPhone / iPod touch / iPad / Apple TV

as shown here:

help16.png

Yes, I have a lower OS. I was just making the point that the dev team and others do quality work and the jailbreaks work very well. I think most of the people that have issues with jailbreaking their phone do not pay attention to the details and fine print - with different idevices, different OS, and different jailbreaks, it is easy to get the wrong combination.

I believe you can always restore back to factory settings.

Sorry mate, i just reread what i put and i think i made it sound as if i was having a go, sorry didnt mean it to be that way.

I was really asking if you had done your JB when you were on a lower iOS, what you had used etc, i guess me and my manner is no good, the wife always tells me off for being like that. so yet again sorry dude and thank you for your replys

No I didn't take it that way, I was just trying to explain what I meant because I have problems explaining enough. :)

I used the limera1n jailbreak on OS 4.0.2 and on 4.1. It was pretty easy to do and the phone works well. Are you planning on jailbreaking or are you going to wait for the untethered version?

I Want to jailbreak but not sure if to do it or wait for unteathered. Also can it be restored back to original if any problems? My god there are so many conflicting stories am not sure what to do etc. I know I can't unlock on 4.2.1 yet can only JB

All jailbreaks can be completely erased with a restore. Even apple can't tell...