What's new

help jailbreaking.

hockey17

Reaction score
hoping the people here are a little more friendly and helpful then other sites.

i really want to jailbreak my iphone 4.
i have 4.2.1 and would like it to be unteathered.
i have a macbook pro

is it possible to jailbreak and some help would be greatly appreciated

thanks so much

thank you for the welcoming.

now i clicked that link and it says tethered. its for sure not?

Yeah the above link is tethered...

4.2.1 untethered JB isn't out yet. Apparently it is close but that has been said for quite a while now.

Correct me if I am wrong but at the moment 4.2.1 JB is available in tethered only, or 4.2b3 in untethered.

Again I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure that is the deal at the moment.

Check out the table below.

wiki.png

Also, if you are in the same position as I am, which is when I bought my iPhone it came with 4.2.1 on it, you can't do go untethered at the moment because you won't be able to get the SHSH keys for the previous iOS versions.

I've got tethered on mine, and apart from getting a bit nervous when it gets below 10% battery I don't have a problem with it at all. Saying that I really am looking forward to getting untethered.

Saying that, if I am wrong someone please correct me :)

table is not showing up.

i really want to jailbreak. is tethered that bad?
im really new and confused by all of this so bear with me ha

table is not showing up.

i really want to jailbreak. is tethered that bad?
im really new and confused by all of this so bear with me ha

Oh really... sorry... click this link then...

http://www.redmondpie.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/wiki.png

To be honest tethered isn't that bad. It just means you can't reboot your phone without having to plug it into your computer, which at this point has to be a Mac.

Since JB'ing my phone I haven't rebooted it once, and it hasn't had a single problem.

If I did need to reboot it, or it lost power, then I'd have to plug it in and boot it with redsn0w, which is basically a click of a button.

gotcha. is it possible to downgrade software to get untethered?

ONLY if you have previously saved your SHSH keys when you were running a version prior to 4.2b3. If you don't know what this is then you probably haven't done it.

There is an app called TinyUmbrella which you can download for Windows / Mac / Linux that does this for you. Once you JB there is an app in Cydia called iSHSHit that also does this for you.

Each SHSH key is unique to your phone as well, so you need the SHSH keys from your actual phone to downgrade.

gotcha ya i got that program but i already have 4.2.1 so im assuming thats no good.

if i jailbreak will it delete everything i have on it (apps, pics, etc..)

gotcha ya i got that program but i already have 4.2.1 so im assuming thats no good.

You are in the same boat as me. I got my phone with 4.2.1 so cannot downgrade as I don't have the SHSH keys. My options were wait for untethered, or use tethered JB. Which I am currently running.

if i jailbreak will it delete everything i have on it (apps, pics, etc..)

No you won't lose anything. Of course always do a Backup in iTunes, and a sync everything before you do anything like this. That way if something happens you can restore.

ah ok. i might have to do this tonight then.

sorta nervous haha

im looking for an app that extends the folders that apple already gives. im aware of categories but i want my folders to look like they are the default.

anyone know of anything in cydia that does this?