What's new

Jailbreak 4.2.8

RaLLiArTeVo

Reaction score
I have searched and found a few good answers but I wondering what would be the best jailbreak program for 4.2.8. I'm new to iPhone but I did root a few droids. Just trying to start strong.

Thanks in advanced guys.

You have redsnow which is a very good tool to jailbreak your phone.

Thanks bab. Any other recommendations? Are the downloads here on the forum? Would u mind terribly directing me to the correct thread. I know I'm asking alot. Thanks

Search on the forum for "untether jailbreak 4.2.8" and the search result will come with some threads. There you will be able to follow steps to get the tool, the ipsw, and steps to jailbreak your iPhone. I'm on my phone now and I can't really search very well for those threads for you. But everything are said on the forum with official links to download whatever you will need.

Awesome. Thanks buddy, is it fairly easy to do?

bab2010 said:
Search on the forum for "untether jailbreak 4.2.8" and the search result will come with some threads. There you will be able to follow steps to get the tool, the ipsw, and steps to jailbreak your iPhone. I'm on my phone now and I can't really search very well for those threads for you. But everything are said on the forum with official links to download whatever you will need.

I did that search and it told me there were no results.

Very strange. Ok I will get on my computer soon and look for the links for you. But you can already start by going to the dev-team blog site and look for redsnow there, it's easy to locate the redsnow file on the dev-team blog. As for the ipsw you can get the one downloaded by your iTunes at this location in your computer:
You should first allow hidden file to be showed, you can clic organize >folder and search options. in the popup wondow clic on tab "view" then mark "show hidden files, folders and drives" when that's done go to
C: user > username(your comp user name) > appData > Roaming > apple computer > iTunes > iPhone Softwarw Updates. In that folder you will find your the ipsw which was downloaded by itunes and used by itunes to upgrade your iOS. you can copy, NOT CUT the ipsw to another location like to your desktop. You will need to use it with redsnow.

On a mac computer :
Home Folder/Library/Application Support/iTunes/iPod Firmware

Now you will also need to backup your iPhone files in iTunes by connecting the phone to your computer, open up iTunes and in the left panel you will see your iPhone icon, right click on that icon and select "backup" only after doing that you can start jailbreaking your phone. This is for just to be safe in case something goes wrong.

bab2010 said:
Very strange. Ok I will get on my computer soon and look for the links for you. But you can already start by going to the dev-team blog site and look for redsnow there, it's easy to locate the redsnow file on the dev-team blog. As for the ipsw you can get the one downloaded by your iTunes at this location in your computer:
You should first allow hidden file to be showed, you can clic organize >folder and search options. in the popup wondow clic on tab "view" then mark "show hidden files, folders and drives" when that's done go to
C: user > username(your comp user name) > appData > Roaming > apple computer > iTunes > iPhone Softwarw Updates. In that folder you will find your the ipsw which was downloaded by itunes and used by itunes to upgrade your iOS. you can copy, NOT CUT the ipsw to another location like to your desktop. You will need to use it with redsnow.

On a mac computer :
Home Folder/Library/Application Support/iTunes/iPod Firmware

Now you will also need to backup your iPhone files in iTunes by connecting the phone to your computer, open up iTunes and in the left panel you will see your iPhone icon, right click on that icon and select "backup" only after doing that you can start jailbreaking your phone. This is for just to be safe in case something goes wrong.

Ok awesome. I went to the dev site but didn't see a 4.2.8 specific. Is it compatible with all 4.x.x ? Sorry I'm being such a hassle. Thanks for ur help