What's new

I've found a serious security flaw in the new update!

I don't allow my phone to leave my person, it stays in my pocket or backpack when I'm not using it - even when I'm home alone. Mainly because I'm too lazy to walk across the room when I need to use the phone, lol. However, this practice seems to be the ultimate security method as nobody else has a chance to touch it. I can't bring myself to leave a $500+ phone laying around.

Last edited:
The button on top of the device is not a "lock/unlock" button. It is a "sleep/wake" button.
But Apple's official description for it states: "To lock iPhone, press the Sleep/Wake button." So, even Apple describes it as a button that performs a lock functionality. Source: iPhone Buttons

But Apple's official description for it states: "To lock iPhone, press the Sleep/Wake button." So, even Apple describes it as a button that performs a lock functionality. Source: iPhone Buttons

Sigh.

The button IS called the "Sleep/Wake" button, per the very web site you linked.

Yes, you can perform a locking function by pressing the "Sleep/Wake" button - IF you have set a passcode to start "Immediately" (you set it from within the Settings app).

All of this is as the others posted. There is nothing wrong with the functionality of the phone; it's your operating techniques that are in error.

Marilyn

OMG, that sounds so much like someone who told us we were holding the phone wrong. ;)

Sadly, that statement was factual based on the design of the phone. But your implied point is understood none-the-less.

The document in question was written back in 2007 or 2008 for the first iPhone. It does not take into account that iOS is now on version 6.0. Which makes the document useless for the purpose of this conversation. Do I agree that Apple needs to update it? Absolutely. In fact, if nothing else, they should remove it until it is updated.

If memory serves iOS 1 thru early iOS 4 did lock instantly, which is why that document was worded that way. Also if memory serves, the delay to full lock was introduced in iOS 4.1 or .2 because it was a largely requested feature by iOS users and the fact that Android already had it.

SJ2571 said:
OMG, that sounds so much like someone who told us we were holding the phone wrong. ;)

My dad always held his compact camera in such a way that his finger covered the flash. Now for the particular design of that camera would you tell him that he was holding it the wrong way or was he holding it ok?

My dad always held his compact camera in such a way that his finger covered the flash. Now for the particular design of that camera would you tell him that he was holding it the wrong way or was he holding it ok?

That is a trick question with two possible answers.

1) Technically he is holding it properly if it allows him to take a picture that is acceptable.

2) Now of course if the flash is needed for either front or back fill lighting, then he is holding it improperly based on the design of the camera.

Let me make something clear, I am not here to play word games or start one. The answers given by myself, f4780y and Mickey330 are factual based on today's usage of the iPhone 3GS thru iPhone 5 running iOS 4.X or higher. SJ2571 point is valid because Apple has made the mistake of not keeping up their internal documentation that they present to the pubic.

With that in mind, lets keep this conversation on track with its original premise. Because I dislike closing threads that might produce a proper answer for all concerned.

My comment about holding it was just a joke... hence the smiley. Take it easy. :)

My comment about holding it was just a joke... hence the smiley. Take it easy. :)

I was and yes I knew you meant it very tongue in cheek.

But I am also very glad you made the comment publicly, because it added something to the conversation that needed to be addressed in my opinion.