What's new

I've found a serious security flaw in the new update!

Skull One said:
Please set your "Require Passcode" to "Immediately". This will resolve your perceived security issue, that doesn't exist.

It does exist. He's shown you an you have given him a resolution to it. You can't resolve something that does not exist

it does exist. He's shown you an you have given him a resolution to it. You can't resolve something that does not exist

huh???? Slow down and try to explain that again.

Yep, that's exactly what happens (iphone 4, not 4s). At least on my phone, which is not password protected.

Let's see what happens if I enable a passcode. Okay, I set a "simple passcode" set for "immediately". Let's try it again.

No problem. If you actually have a passcode set, you can't break in this way. After you hit the middle button to return to the desktop you are prompted for the passcode.

It worked on my 4S without a passcode, l have now set a passcode and its safe now :)

Crag88 said:
Lock your phone, double press the middle button and enter the camera. Then press the photo in the bottom left and it says your iPhone is locked. Then pres the bottom left again to go back to the camera, then press your middle button and hey presto your in!

Maybe you didn't set your passcode correctly or maybe somethings wrong with your phone cause I could not get in.

Last edited:
Lock your phone, double press the middle button and enter the camera. Then press the photo in the bottom left and it says your iPhone is locked. Then pres the bottom left again to go back to the camera, then press your middle button and hey presto your in!

I followed your steps and my phone takes me back to the passcode screen and ask me to enter the passcode.

I know what the OP is saying, and it's confirmed with my 4S with iOS6.

My phone is set to lock after 5 minutes. So, if I unlock it, do something, then lock it and walk away, someone can come back in my 5-minute window and follow his steps to get in, even though, in theory, I wanted my phone to be locked because I pressed the lock button.

Basically, if you have non-immediate lock timeout, then lock your phone so you feel "safe" leaving it unattended, it's a false sense of security because someone can get in within that timeout period. It makes having a timeout period pointless, and a security risk.

Last edited:
I know what the OP is saying, and it's confirmed with my 4S with iOS6.

My phone is set to lock after 5 minutes. So, if I unlock it, do something, then lock it and walk away, someone can come back in my 5-minute window and follow his steps to get in, even though, in theory, I wanted my phone to be locked because I pressed the lock button.

Basically, if you have non-immediate lock timeout, then lock your phone so you feel "safe" leaving it unattended, it's a false sense of security because someone can get in within that timeout period. It makes having a timeout period pointless, and a security risk.

does it on my 5!

The solution to the original post was answered last year, by me no less, and the reason you have an issue is because of how YOU setup your phone. This is NOT a security issue. It has never been a bug. YOU the user can set the phone up exactly the way YOU want it to work.

So please do me a huge favor and read this post - http://www.iphoneforums.net/forum/i...us-security-flaw-new-update-23680/#post121265

Thank you.

The button on top of the device is not a "lock/unlock" button. It is a "sleep/wake" button. Two very different things.
If you want your device to be passcode locked when you put it to sleep, you must set the passcode lock to be required immediately. Otherwise, the passcode timer starts counting down as soon as you use the sleep button to put it to sleep! If you wake the device before this time has expired, you can use the device without entering a passcode :)

Simple and Logical! ;)

Last edited:
f4780y types much wisdom.

Oh and I plan to steal that explanation since it is better than mine. :D