What's new

iTunes says photo's are taking up 3.7 Gb and i have only 16 pictures.

danielson2k3

Reaction score
Hello, i read the introduction for new members and i 'search search search'ed.

What it is, i was trying to sync my phone to iTunes and it told me there was enough memory to do so. So looking at the details shown on iTunes it was clear that most of my memory was taken up by my photographs, in which case i decided a clear out was needed.

I deleted around 100 :photos:pics on the phone its self and a few unused :appstore:apps then i connected it up to my laptop and went to my computer- iPhone etc, to the file containing all of my pictures so that i could copy them all to my laptop and have a nice clean Iphone.

But this hasnt appeared to happen for me. Ive taken off all the photo's apart from a select few (16 pictures in total of me and my son/Mrs etc.) and iTunes is telling me that 'Photos' are still taking up 3.7Gb of space on my phone.
These pictures were taken using my :camera: iPhone camera, so im a bit confused on why these 16 photos are taking up all this space, ive even gone as far as to delete my 'Qik Video Camera' app and other picture apps like 'HD funny pictures' for example.

Ive turned my phone off, shut down iTunes etc, and its still telling me the same thing.

Sorry for going on a little in this post, but reading the New threads; thread, i was told to explain what i meant so you'd understand my problem.

|I hope some one could help me, or even explain to me what is going on!

Thanks alot in advance! :D

Do you have any videos taken with the camera? because that counts towards the pics space that will be taken up, so if you have a few large or lots of small videos that would explain it.

Yeah videos are the ones taking up all the spaces in iPhone. 10mn video raking by the iPhone is equal to 80mb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I recorded a video earlier and it moved up to 3.8Gb, now i've just deleted all my pictures and the video and its gone back down to 3.7Gb.

Dont know what to do really?

Any ideas any one? The only thing i can think of is to some how back all my apps and that up and wipe the phone completley!

Could any one point me in the right direction on how to do this safley please?

Sync your phone with iTunes and that will back up everything to your computer. Then you can restore your phone in itunes and sync back all your data...

Thank you mate. :)

Will all my music be backed up aswell? I've deleted all the music off my laptop, so could you tell me if there is a way to copy all the music from my iPhone back onto the laptop?

Ive previousley deleted music from my laptop and when i tryed adding it back onto my phone from iTunes (which said i still had the music) it said 'Music cannot be found'

Last edited:
everything will be backed up, pics music and everything you have on the phone.

hopefully that will fix the problem

I don't think so. If he doesn't have the musics on his computer and in his iTune, he will lose them in the process. Itune backup everything except songs, videos, podcastd, ringtones, and books, despite you bought them or not. But if he have the songs on his computer ofcourse after restoring and syncing, the songs will be back to in the phone. But there are 3rd party apps for computer like aidTune which help copy songs from iphone to computer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hope your right mate, becuase in the music library i cannot locate the music files and on the restore button it says that all my contacts, notes and messages will be restored. Nothing about the music mate :confused:

I hope your right mate, becuase in the music library i cannot locate the music files and on the restore button it says that all my contacts, notes and messages will be restored. Nothing about the music mate :confused:

you do have all your music saved on your computer? and loaded into your itunes library? if so then you can restore then restore to a backup, because once you restore you will lose everything and you have to spend X amount of time restore to a backup.

just make sure you have all the files on the computer, pics music, otherwise itunes will be un able to put the files back on your device.

if you dont there are apps out there where you can rip the music and pics and other files from the device

you do have all your music saved on your computer? and loaded into your itunes library? if so then you can restore then restore to a backup, because once you restore you will lose everything and you have to spend X amount of time restore to a backup.

just make sure you have all the files on the computer, pics music, otherwise itunes will be un able to put the files back on your device.

if you dont there are apps out there where you can rip the music and pics and other files from the device

+1 and as for the pictures and your videos u can just copy them from your device by connecting your phone to your computer and pointing to "my computer" and there you will see an iPhone icon in where you can copy out your pictures and videos and save them some where into your computer.

Last edited:
Also if you dont authorise your computer itunes wont re install the apps/games you may have purchased or downloaded free from the app store so make sure you click Store > and authorise this computer.

Right, okay, I've restored my iPhone and iTunes is still telling me that i have 3.7Gb of photos on there? There is nothing on my phone at all now, it should be like brand new.. So i fiddled around with it for five, kept disconnecting it and reconnecting it, then run the diagnostics on iTunes and it said that the divice was not responding.
I then restarted both the laptop and iPhone and put the cable in a different USB port. Adventually it recognised my phone and i could back up my phone, to put my contacts, texts and notes etc back on, and out of no where, 86 pictures and 14 videos appear on my phone!! Videos and pictures i had completley forgot about (probably because they were hidden from me!)

This is a very strange issue, i dont know if any one else has ever come across this at all. I've never had and form of app that 'hide' pictures or anything like that.

But anyway, my phone is clear of all those pictures and vids and is freshly updated and ready for it first jail break, i hope you will stick with me, im bound to get into some sort of trouble along the way!

Cheers for your help guys! :)

Good i am glad you managed to sort it out :)

as we suspected there where videos as well as photos taking up the space but as you mentioned they did not appear before then when you where checking. very strange