What's new

It got wet!!!

my2rotties

Reaction score
My phone got wet, and tripped the water damage sensors. I was stuck in the rain and was making a phone call, sadly rain water got in through the head phone plug in. I had no idea there was anything amiss until I got home and saw the LED light was stuck on.

I hard restarted the phone, and all the normal stuff to try to make it shut off... I did not really think too much about it until I was playing with my husband's phone, I noticed his did not have the pink glow inside the head phone jack that mine had... so I assume it is the water damage sensor. The LED ight stays on very dim at all times, but does not interfere with the flash on the camera or the flash light application. I wonder if this is a new feature Apple put in place to show water damage? It is pink inside and is very hard not to miss when you click the phone on, as it glows inside.

I called Apple to find out what to do about the LED light and I am supposed to bring it into the Apple store and get a new one... but if I have water damage, I know they won't exchange it, although it works perfectly. I do notice the new design allows water to get in through the top more easily if you have to talk in the rain.

When I picked up my phone three weeks ago, there were not protective cases to be bought and I am still waiting for my free case from Apple to arrive. Is there any sort of plug I can buy for the top of the phone to put into the head phone jack that will not allow water to get in there so easily? I used to use my old iPhone in the rain with no issue at al, and it was not raining huge amounts when it got wet... but I guess wet enough.

I am not sure what will happen with my phone now if I do have any other issues in the future. Can I get a new water damage sensor or fix it some how?

The water sensor is just a thin piece of paper. The light coming from the inside is just the screen shining thru the headphone jack. So if everything is working ok don't worry about it. But yes apple won't replace a water damaged phone.....

This is one of several reasons to get a Otterbox Defender

Yup a better case is a huge thing to get. However, they should really design the phone to be able to take some water. It was not pouring rain, and a phone should be able to take that much. My 3G did with no issues at all... so it did not even cross my mind with my new phone.

I am still making repeated attempts to install the newest firmware for the phone... it always starts at four hours on my computer, and then times out in the last hour. I am hoping once I do this, maybe the LED will shut itself off. Nothing I do is working and tech support at Apple did not have any solutions, aside of installing the new OS and restoring the phone to factory and then redoing it from the start.

Is there any sort of water proof case out there... just in case someone does drop it in water? Our phones are such a part of our lives and we take them every where... they should be designed to take some water or someone should invent a functional water tight case which allows the phone to be in our pockets or clipped to our belts. I have looked and have no found anything functional and water tight. I just want something that I can still use the touch screen to answer calls but seals the speakers, plug and ear phone plug in...

The water sensor is just a thin piece of paper. The light coming from the inside is just the screen shining thru the headphone jack. So if everything is working ok don't worry about it. But yes apple won't replace a water damaged phone.....

When I looked at mine it has a pink glow coming through. When I look at my husband's it is just a glow.

When I looked at mine it has a pink glow coming through. When I look at my husband's it is just a glow.

Yes it's the same light from the screen just the paper has turned red because it got wet.

Well that really sucks... The oddest thing is since the phone got wet, the ED light stays on, even if the phone is powered off.

I would be very interested in knowing how this turned out. Did apple replace the phone without having a large fee attached? Or did they opt to not fix it due to water damage? My father is having the same problem. My little sister knocked over his drink barely any water touched the phone which was in a case but the camera ended up with moisture and even though everything has dried and the moisture is gone he can not shut off the camera light even by resetting, deleting apps or allowing the battery to sit dead for 12hrs. As I have been reading into the issue I see it seems to be a common problem but he has the same worry that it will not be covered for water damage even though it is a known problem with the phone.

this is a pretty interesting thread seeing as i use my phone often in the rain as well...
my phone has been fine up to now but the thought of my phone getting wet because of the head phone jack kinda makes me nervous...

I realize this post is older, but i figured I'd post anyway. My phone took a swim last night. I talked to somebody at the gnious bar in the apple store, and they will, in fact replace a water damaged phone. $200.

Just drop ya a single drop of bleach on that water indicator... Make it all nice and white again!