What's new

Issues Calling Out

DMP

Reaction score
New to iOS and Apple phones, but my 4S has an issue that's an annoyance.

I make my first call to home. The phone counts seconds, but doesn't connect to anything; the second call I make, it dutifully says "calling home" and it works properly.

I did install iOS 9.2 and as I am downloading the newest update I am realizing from what I read that updates aren't the best thing to do with older phones, but it's too late now. Can someone give me an idea as to what may be causing this problem? Thanks so much.

DMP

Are you saying that every time you try to make a phone call, it takes two attempts before the call connects properly?

Yes and it made for a very unhappy spouse at the other end telling me I didn't know how to make a call because he was talking into the phone but into dead air...I know how to call but my iPhone doesn't apparently. This just started happening recently

Maybe there's a carrier settings update, waiting for installation, and that's why it doesn't work flawlessly. Go to Settings - General - About. If there is an update, a popup will appear, giving the option to update.

Did you change anything on the phone just before the problems started happening?

Maybe there's a carrier settings update, waiting for installation, and that's why it doesn't work flawlessly. Go to Settings - General - About. If there is an update, a popup will appear, giving the option to update.

There was no Verizon update. Thanks

Did you change anything on the phone just before the problems started happening?

I have not changed anything on the phone at all. I am a very light user and I know I haven't fiddled with the phone other than I added some contacts. I tried the phone x3 today in different locations when I was out and then again in the house and the same behavior was exhibited. Afterwards, I did the iOS 9.2.3 update and I was hoping my problem would go away, but it hasn't. It doesn't sound like the type of problem a reset would fix either, but what do I know being a newbie with an iPhone.

You could try backing up your iPhone to iTunes on your computer, then restore your iPhone and set it up from the backup you made.

Thank you for the suggestion; would not restoring the phone from the backup, just restore the problem? i'm thinking like a Windows person that I am. Just so I understand, the backup would restore my data, like apps, contacts, but not restore the type of issue I have.

If restoring from the backup brings the problem back, you'll have to restore again and this time set it up as a new iPhone. This will mean you will lose any app data that's not backed up elsewhere. If setting it up as a new iPhone doesn't solve the problem, you may have a hardware issue. A visit to the Genius Bar at the closest Apple Store could verify that through a full diagnostic.

Perhaps installing the updated OS helped because for the first time in several weeks, the phone worked on the first try, w/o hanging up and starting over. Thanks for responding.

You're welcome. I'm glad your iPhone is working properly again. Was this the first call after the update?

No, but it was the first call I made after the update was completed and after I turned the phone completely off for the night. Made the call first thing this AM and there were no issues, so far.