What's new

Is there any hope for my iphone?

arkaf

Reaction score
Last week there was a huge rainfall. My iphone was inside my backpack and yet it got wet - true it was not the same thing as dropping it in the pool or the toilet, but it did get wet. The silly thing even had an oster case and yet it still got wet Grrr
When I got home the camera flash seemed to be on and I couldn't turn it off. SOmething written appeared in the screen but I didn't have my glasses and couldn't read it I don't remember if I clicked somewhere or not, I was still not worried that there was a problem other than the flash being on. I have a flashlight application that sometimes seems to turn on by itself and I was thinking about that, not exactly the water problem.
So I went on the web and learned that one solution could be put it in a bag of rice, I did that.
I got it out of the bag today and tried to charge it. Nothing happened for a few seconds and then the apple design apppeared. A few seconds more and it buzzed. I got a grey scren with iOS6 and the bar at the bottom to slide and got the screen to enter the password. that's when things got weird. Once I entered my password, another screen appeared to connect to itunes . The problem is as soon as I disconect from the wall outlet the screen goes black and when I connect to the usb port in the computer to try and connect to itunes nothing happens., or rather, the apple logo comes up but there's nothing I can do with the phone. The apple logo keeps coming on and off but if I press on the button to go in nothing happens.
I understand that the phone might be gone to come no more, but what is the difference between having it connected to the wall outlet and the computer, when does it act different just for that? On the wall outlet the screens come perfectly and I can enter the password and slide the bar, it's just when I take it from teh wall outlet and connect to the computer that this happens.
Is there anything I can do?
This really get me upset. I mean how fragile are these things? It was rain, and the phone was supposed to be protected inside. It's not like it was submerged in water or anything. Sure it was a huge rainfall and I was in it for almost 10 minutes, but inside my backpack? with a protection cover?
IN any case any help will be very appreciated
thanks

Put it in a container of rice for a few days to get all the moisture out. It'd be best if you could open up the back panel while doing so to speed up the process. Otherwise, it'll take about 4-5 days to ensure that it's 100% dried. Generally after the drying process it should be functional again for the most part. In other cases, you'll have to open up the back panel and clean it up a bit.

Putting it in a container of rice normally solves the problem but I thought you had to do it straight away once your phone gets wet and then not take it out for a few days?

Putting it in a container of rice normally solves the problem but I thought you had to do it straight away once your phone gets wet and then not take it out for a few days?

It would to be straightaway to prevent corrosion and such of the internal parts. In our case, since it happened a week ago, unless the device was manually taken apart and hand dried to a warm crisp, it's more than likely going to have problems.

Hi willerz2, I did put it up in a container with rice since last week when I got home after the rain. I did not open the case because I don't know how, but it has been in the rice since tuesday last week. That's why I decided to try it yesterday. My main problem is that once I plug it to the wall outlet it starts working to the point that I get the iOS6 gray screen and then I can enter my password which takes me to another screen telling me to connect to itunes and shows the picture of a usb cable connecting to itunes. That is all fine, but of course I can't connect to itunes while the cable is connected to the wall. Once I unplug it, the screen goes back to black. If I plug the usb cable to the computer to connect to itunes, all I get is the apple logo showing up on an off and I can't click on anything or do anything so no way to connect to itunes. I"m just wondering why is this, if it works fine plugged into the wall socket and what can I do, if anything.
Thanks for your help

Hi willerz2, I did put it up in a container with rice since last week when I got home after the rain. I did not open the case because I don't know how, but it has been in the rice since tuesday last week. That's why I decided to try it yesterday. My main problem is that once I plug it to the wall outlet it starts working to the point that I get the iOS6 gray screen and then I can enter my password which takes me to another screen telling me to connect to itunes and shows the picture of a usb cable connecting to itunes. That is all fine, but of course I can't connect to itunes while the cable is connected to the wall. Once I unplug it, the screen goes back to black. If I plug the usb cable to the computer to connect to itunes, all I get is the apple logo showing up on an off and I can't click on anything or do anything so no way to connect to itunes. I"m just wondering why is this, if it works fine plugged into the wall socket and what can I do, if anything.
Thanks for your help

It's possible that the USB socket on your isn't supplying enough power.

I was thinking the same scifan57, and I also just noticed that the usb cable seems to have the plastic cover broken although the wires are fine inside. But I just tried with my son's phone and it is working, just not for my phone. Could it be that because all the charge is gone the computer alone is not enough to charge it? DO you think there is a way of working around this at all?

I'd say that it's the USB port not supplying enough power. Generally, charging via PC is slower than via outlet because of the output difference. That in turn leads to the battery, which means that you'd have to get a new battery because the current battery is refusing to take in the "recommended" dosage through a computer

Sent from my iPhone via Tapatalk

Thank you guys. I am going to give it a last try leaving it charging on the wall for longer and using a cord that is not broken, see if it actually takes the charge enough to use the computer, but I am afraid willerz2 might be right, and the battery is... well gone to wherever batteries go when they die :)
Darn thing is out of warranty already and not even sure if buying a new battery will be as expensive as the price for the out of warranty phone from apple. These things always happen to me when I'm laid off grrrrrrrrr
Anyway thanks going to give it that last try and then see what I can do if it doesn't work.

The warranty doesn't cover liquid damage, only AppleCare does. Batteries aren't expensive if you buy it from trusted sources like iFixit.com. The battery costs $24.95 USD and it comes with the tools to do it as well. If you pay Apple to do it for you, it would cost $80 and you would have to ship it back and forth as not all Apple stores will replace on the spot or can replace on the spot. The battery's probably on the of the easier parts to replace (aside from the rear panel) since all you need to do is disconnect the battery and replace it with the new one. For something like the front panel (screen), you have to take everything out, put in the new screen, then replace everything again. Watch the tutorials a few times on Youtube or real through the instructions several times and look at the pictures/diagrams on iFixIt and following them.