What's new

DIY experience with iPh4- charging issues

spider2012

Reaction score
Hi all,
where do I start? my wife's iPhone was water damaged a while ago. It was acting crazy and hopeless. I put it in a bag of rice for almost three weeks and took it out. It behaved much better but not as good as before the incident. The bell icon (for sound, ringer etc) used to come on randomly. Pressing the volume button would show the bell icon without any bars. I could not listen to music through the speakers. It however worked fine with headphones. All other aspects we're functional.

I noticed corrosion in the charging dock, but the water damage indicator had not been triggered. So it must not have been that bad. I purchased a replacement charger port online.

after a lot of YouTube tutorials on how to fix this, I bit the bullet and tried it out. I was quite pleased as I was able to dismantle and put everything back without ripping any flex cables. Hey, I even got the ringer volume is issue fixed. I can now hear music through my speakers. Great right? Not quite. My phone doesn't charge anymore. I have tried different cables, computer, wall outlet etc. no use.

I powered down the device and plugged in the cable, that powers the device back up. However it doesn't charge. My comp gave a message saying USB device not recognized. I know the very first time I connected it, it recognized. I got a notification that I can update to iOS 7 ( hell no!). And then suddenly it was gone. After that it just doesn't recognize.

anyone know what is going on? It is quite clear I took something that was marginally bad and made it practically unusable, so besides the obvious, any help would be great.

Thanks in advance.